Fair- Chase Catfishing In Ohio!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Jul 28, 2009.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    How do you consider the term " Fair Chase"? I have my opinion. I'm sure you all have your own also. Is the word "Fair" .... A word that's " Fair"? LMAO! We all know the word "Chase" is fine! We chase fish every trip out! This topic brings many perspectives into it! LOL... Laws are Laws, but when we talk about "Fair Chase". Is it really "Fair"??? rollo

Last edited: Jul 28, 2009
  2. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    wow,no one has commented here yet,everyone in bed with the flu??

i don't know if it is more of a fair issue or really an ethical stance.

some people go hunting for the "sport" of it.but they might shoot a deer at 500 yards.i couldn't say if it is fair or ethical.i don't see the sport in it,but thats up to the hunter themselves.

same way with fishing,but,i don't think it is fair to a fish to make it to 30-40 pounds or bigger,then have some turd pull him out of his waters and be sold to a lake or eaten.i think it would be owed to the fish for one,getting to catch it,and 2,just for making it that size with all the obstacles that they face to make it to that size.

i think it is more a question of ethics,or lack of.and also for the respect of the fish.

i don't think it is ethical to put out 50 or so jugs or even god knows how many hooks on a trotline or even limb lines,i think they should be governed a little better than they are now.it might not be fair to the bank or boat fishermen who can only use 2 poles,with 2 hooks (i think) on eack line and not covering any additional waters like the jugs and lines are.

it is just too bad that ethics usually can't be taught to most.if its not instilled at an early age,then its almost always to late,except for a few instances.

3. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am confused on this one. It sure is fair chase I am in a boat on the water and the fish is in the water. Some days the chase pays off and somedays it doesn't. As for ethics. Everyones ideas are different. 1 I dont think fish should be sold to paylakes. There should be stiff fines and automatic jail time. I personally CPR big fish. But I am not going to judge people who don't. They caught it so if its a legal fish its theirs. As for jugs and trotlines, there is nothing unethical about throwing out 50 jugs. I caught more fish on 10 jugs than these people did with there 60 jugs. Trotlines are a good way to catch fish, and there are some good laws that go with it. maybe when others post about this i can come back and read what others think about fair chase.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I refuse to get involved with this..Jason already knows my views, and they are just like his,

5. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Wow Jason, talk about a can of worms with a grenade in the bottom!
    I guess it depends on what a guy thinks is fair and what he considers a chase. I'm not sure that ethics and fair chase can be compared "fairly"

Do I think trotlines, limblines, jugs and nets fair chase? Absolutely not; no chasing involved. Just set the trap, take a nap, go home and eat dinner or whatever and come back later to see what's been caught. Do I think they are unethical? Absolutely not; just a way of catching fish I don't care do do.

Let's take noodling /grabbling. Fair chase? Not on your life.
    Unethical? Definitely! The fish is hiding in a hole, cornered and has pretty much no way to escape. What is ethical or fair about that?

What about catching bluegills or bass from spawning beds? Fair chase? Again no. Those fish are genetically programed to be on those beds, stay on them and attack anything that comes near. Unethical? I would say no if you are CPRing them but yes if you are taking them and preventing them from completing their breeding cycle.

What about setting a big fat sunfish next to a snag for when Mr Flathead comes out for his nightly prowl, fair chase? Aguable I suppose. He has the option of eating it or not. He is genetically predisposed to eat it but he might not. If he does he has the option of running you into said snag. You may be set up with a 16/0 hooks and 100lb line and not planning on letting him snag you up. Or, you may think you'll be "fair" and use lighter gear.
    BUT,Ther's nothing fair about leaving a fish trapped in a snag on the broken line he's trailing.
    Your call on how "fair" you want to be.

What about stalking a deer over 20 mile of hills to get that shot? Seems fair enough. Then you take him out from 500 yards with your SuperMega 30/06 DeathBlaster rifle. Some would argue that isn't exactly as fair and that you hadn't earned that shot as much as if you squirmed to within 50 feet and took him out with an arrow. I don't think many would argue the ethics of either though as long as you eat it.
    Personally I don't think setting up at a water hole and waiting for game to come to drink and then taking them out is fair or ethical but hey that's just me.

Are you bored yet????

There are so many variables and so may points of view it's really a bottomless pit.
    I think that respect is the key. if you plan to release it treat it in a manner that will increase the odds of it surviving. If you plan on eating it then kill it quickly and cleanly and respect the life you have taken to sustain your own.

J.M.H.O...W

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  6. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Kinda double edge sword. I've let my feelings be known for awhile now so I'll sit back down on my little perch.

7. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    well rollo, ive been a sportsman for 30 years and to me (fair chase) means going after your game of choice with out paying to do so, like fishing a public water way or hunting area, and to me that's a true trophy, people that hunt or fish in fenced areas do not get recognition as a sportsman..Lets say you caught a 150 lb flathead out of a pay pond, thats not (Fair chase) but i know you are a true sportsman and wouldnt do such a thing...heck your to buisy trying to round up breakfest for every one anyway :smile2::wink:

8. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    When you place a baited hook it the water no matter the method, you can never be certain a fish will take it. IMO fair chase would only be involved if you could guarantee the fish would have to bite it. Now throwing a stick of TNT in the lake would definitely not be fair chase. lol
    With the fishing regulations we now have in place I truly cant see where fair chase has anything to do with fishing. :cool2:

9. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    I think the only true fair chase is 1 man, 1 fish, no tools. You catch him he is yours. Same with hunting, 1 man, 1 bear.no tools no weapons. You catch him he is a rug, he catches you, you are dinner. :dribble:

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    "Fair Chase" to me means many things.... It probably does get into the ethics end more than anything. Do I think "fair chase" is someone running a bunch of lines, going home to check them the next day? NO! Maybe its "fair chase" for the fish, because yes they have the option to bite or not. But, is it "fair chase" as in terms of the angler? Is it "fair chase" that these fish are being targeted often in a small stretch of their habitat with many opportunitys to feed on "seemingly" easy food? Take a 200 yrd. section of river. Take someone with 2 poles, 2 livebaits... Now, take someone wanting to jug 20 or more jugs, or 50-150 hooks in the same section. Where does the odds lay? Who is gonna be more productive? It's simple math! The more bait being presented, the better the chances of catching! The more area covered during feeding periods, the better the production! I just wanna know, what is "fair chase". Seems by law, there is not much "fairness" being shown between the methods to catch your fish, other than the opportunity to fish how you want!:wink: thats my point for this post.....rollo

11. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    So is fly fishing more "fair chase" than live bait fishing? You could argue that using the same food that the fish naturally eats in its environment is an unfair advantage over that animal. Since you are taking the food directly out of the water adding a hook and a line and putting it back in you have an unfair advantage over the fish. You didn't trick the fish in to eating your bait it just chose the food with a hook in it by mistake. I don't agree with that but I have had the argument made to me. If you are fly fishing and you hand craft an artificial bait that represents what the fish are eating and with your technique you trick the fish in to eating is that "fair chase". Would that make Bass fishing more fair chase then catting? :embarassed: aarg!

You could take the argument any way you want down to using different equipment. Is using a circle hook more "fair chase" than using a J hook you have to set? What about using line that can't really be broken? Or even using wire line with an electric winch?

What it comes down to is ethics one way or another. Real ethics not the stuff people tell you to believe in or the stuff you read in books. Ethics can't be written down because they are based on your own sense of right and wrong. If you are honest with yourself you will know if what you are doing goes against what you feel is right. Every person is going to have a different definition of what that means.

To me "fair chase" in fishing means one thing but it may mean something different to you.

For me that means staying within the law and regulations. Fishing in a means that is both effective and minimizes the negative effect on the fish. Trying to do as little harm as possible to the fish, enviornment and overall health of the species.

12. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    Fair Chase..lets see here now, when you guys are at golden coral and they run out of hash browns and they only got grits left would that be (fair chase):smile2:

13. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    :smile2: Nope! Still gonna be someone that shouldn't be there, and holding up the line longer than they should!:smile2::wink: rollo

14. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for your opinion. I want a variety of views here, and respect all! I didn't create this thread for controversy etc. Been enough of them over the years. I want to here opinions, and everyones! Be man enough to speak your mind, but respect others also! I knew this would be an interesting topic, and one that could turn to crap fast. But, im hopeing it doesn't.... rollo

15. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    This one could definately get me on the wrong side of some people, but it's just the way I see things. It doesn't mean that i'm right or wrong, it's just how I chose to do things.

Someone brought up a great point. One that is a bit of an annoyance to me. It has to do with the gear used by us fishermen. For me, I actually love to fish. I read posts all the time where the "fisherman" is what I would consider a 'wincher'. It's one thing to have gear that you can catch a large catfish with, but it's completely different to me, if your using equipment that is capable of hauling in a #600 lb ocean creature.

That alone, I would consider to not be actually fair. The catfish really don't have much of a chance, once they are hooked. I personally do not ever plan on using any line above #20 test. If that guy in Kansas can catch the WR Flatty on #16 test, so can I. That's why they call if fishing, and not catching. There needs to be some balance. Otherwise, why not just use unbreakable line and connect it to a downrigger system and just drag in anything that gets hooked.

I have even a worse view of juggers, trot lines, and limb lines. That isn't fishing at all. I never want to hear anyone brag about something that they caught in that fashion. They might as well fish in the tank at BPS, and brag about their fishing exploits.

If a person needs to catch a lot of fish for food, that's fine, but 60 jugs? Or trot lines with 100 hooks? It goes beyond necessity. At that point, it's strictly greed.

I am also against snagging, arrows and noodling. But, that's just me. I like fishing!

16. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Very well done!

If it were possible to catch catfish, especially the larger ones, consistantly with a lure, I would agree with your referrence. I think Bass fishing is more "fair" if done with a lure, as opposed to live bait. Unless it's a kid or something of that nature.

Unfortunately, we are hampered by nature. The majority of cats, all sizes, just do not go for lures that much. It's comparable to Muskie fishing. We use live bait all the time. The same live bait that a Muskie will eat for survival. However, I have never once caught a Muskie. Yet, people catch them on a regular basis with the right lures. Nature dictates how we do things sometimes.

17. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Well, everyone knows where I stand here also. Prolly already know whats gonna be said. If Im using 2 poles 1 hook a piece and I catch fish thats fair chase because in a normal fishing trip whats the %chance for a catfish being caught by me. What .00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001%
    I say this because of all the cats in the Ohio whats the chances of that 1 being caught. Kinda like me hittin the lottery or something.

I also want to say that I am proud to see that some of our newer members agree on the jugging, trotlining, netting, and limblining. It should all be banned!!!!!! I know that there are a lot of folks out there that would do it even if it were illegal. Someone said it above, and yes I agree it is 100% greed. 2 fishing poles for me and several hundred for them. BS!!!!!

I know that if you sat me down with die hard good catfisherman that understood what the jugging, trotlining, netting, and limblining will do to our waterways in the future almost everyone would agree on everything about this issue BECAUSE WE CARE ABOUT THE FISH!! For example, if I knew that every fish I caught from here on out would get hooked deep and die there would be a lot of fishing equipment for sale on here. I would never go again. These fish may be considered "rough" fish to the states but they are a treasure to a lot of folks and I am glad that most of them I know are right on this website.

As far as Im concerned every catfish I catch is fair chase because that fish is gonna be slid right back in the water anyways.

18. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    So Rollo, you gonna trade all your heavy equipment for ultralights? lol :eek:oooh:

19. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If trotlines, and limb, jug lines are lawed to be 10 pound test also!:roll_eyes::big_smile: rollo

20. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    There are alot of different views here. But I have to disagree with it being said, that jugs and trotlines should be outlawed. It is not hurting out fish habitat more than any other type of fishing. Jugging is great family fun, and kids love it. I love doing it for a fish fry. I have caught some nice fish doing it. And I selective harvest just like i do when pole fishing.