Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I wanna talk about your fishing line. No, I don't mean mono or braid, or any particular brand or color. I want to know why you pick a certain pound test of line and your reason for doing so. To me selecting line test tells a lot about the angler. What type of fish ho goes for, his style, etc. For instance, and this is in no way a put down to anyone, I know many guys use 100 pound or heavier test line to fish for flatheads or blues. They always have a good reason for doing so. What I don't know however is if they know the limit to their equipment. Unless you are using very heavy duty salt water rods, I don't know of any rods that are designed or will withstand a 100 pound or more dead weight pull or lift without breaking in half. If there is I am interested in knowing what it is. If you say well that's crazy, I have this super handy dandy reel with this super duper drag that will let line out before the rod breaks. My point exactly. If you are going to use your drag to stop a fish before it breaks your line or rod, then why do you need such a heavy line in the first place? Abrasion resistance? Perhaps. But is a 100 pound line twice as abrasion resistant as 50 pound test? I don't know. These are things I think about. No offense intended. I look forward to your thoughts.

:glasses-cool:

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
I use a 30# mainline, nothing smaller.

You have to use it here if your fishing bottom. If I run anything under I would be retying all daylong. The 30# has a good chance of breaking limbs off of standing timber when I'm hooked on it.

Mainline size has nothing to do with being able to pull a cat in without it breaking, its about getting your line back after its snagged ; )

·
Registered
37 Posts
The primary water I fish is heavy heavy current that will honestly break 30lb mono . I use a 40 lb dropper to my sinkers (10-16 oz)that have a foot section of 350lb nylon tied to them (solely for abrasion resistance and you lose less lead) . Mainline is 80-100lb power pro . I do use my drag to a point but when a big flathead hits the main current its turn him fast or start walkin down river with him crossin everyones lines. I have been broke off on 3 occasions by FISH using heavy braid . It cuts the current quite well too . I use a 6-12" 100lb Ande mono leader to the hook because its stiffer and more abrasion resistant than braid and we all know how flatheads like to dive into heavy cover , in this case , sharp boulders . Rods are 12-15ft heavy to 2XH . Reels are all heavy saltwater grade . Might sound overkill , but it works and I hate losing big fish . And I would rather snap a hook than loose god knows how many yds of line

·
Registered
873 Posts
The area of the republican river I fish has a lot of deadfalls,weeds,old branches. So my 2 main poles have 50 to 65 pound braided line. The reels I have on the poles are rated for 50 pound test. When I set my drag I try to come as close to half the test strength as I can. I started doing this years ago when I was heavy into Bass fishing. I used 12 pound test , set my drag at 6. I did and still do this so I can some what guess the weight of the fish I am tied into before I land it. I have 2 other setups I use that have 25 pond test on them. The reels are rated at 50 but the poles are 25 to 30 rate. I like using the Berkley Big Game line for mono as I have had great experience with it. For braided line I like the Power Pro as I have not had it break where as the 65 pound braided yellow Nuclear Fuzion line I got from Team Catfish I have had break. When I fish the spillway at Harlan County (Republican City Nebraska) All I use it the 50 pound braided for the abrasion factor. We all have a preference as to what we like, but I like seeing what other people use and experiment with it to see how it works for me. I would say, knowing your equipment and it's limits will determine how and what you fish.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I use 30lb for my main line then my leader is 20lb and my sinker is on a 10lb leader, this way when I hang up I only lose one or the other. My drag is what I use to maintain my equipment so my rod should never break, unless I get awfully clumsy, which doesn't happen very often, once I believe.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
I always use mono-either Big Game,Cajun Red, Trilene XT, or Ande. On my lighter rigs that I fish ponds, creeks, and small rivers most of the time 12, 15, and 17 lb test. In bigger water 20, 25, and 30 lb test. Someone mentioned earlier you can land a big fish on light line. My PB catfish was abt a 40 lb blue on 6 lb test BPS Excel line while bluegill fishing. I heard of an angler landing a 45 pound flathead the other day on 4 lb Mr. Crappie mono line that hit a plastic grub. I got the photo but will ask him before I post it.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I like Ande and BBG, but the more I use that Berkley xt Red and the Cajun Lightning the more I like it.The Cajun is a little tough for distance,but makes up for it with strength. I used the Cajun before for leaders,but always shyed away from it because of its stiffness,but I like it more and more as I use it.You almost cant break it......

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've got one light rig set up with Cajun Red 14 lb mono, which I really like because it casts well, it's easy to work with, it's cheap, and seems pretty darn durable. I figure I can catch just about anything except the really BIG bruisers on it, so that's fine by me.

My other rig is set up a bit stiffer with Cajun Red 30 lb mono. It originally had the el cheapo 20 lb clear mono from the factory (Shakespeare), and I hated it because it was prone to stretching, twisting and snarling so bad...ugh. Though, to be fair, I did manage to land that 34 lb flattie on it- but I also had the drag set right so that really helped a lot. I figure the 30 lb mono should be good for just about anything I can come across, so long as I let the drag do its thing properly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.