Fact or urban legend ?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by GwillE, Sep 10, 2009.

1. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    some of us have heard of these monster fish that live in the bottom of our az dams of our resovoirs and river systems. Recent post of rumors of divers disappearing, divers claiming to see fish that could consume a human& divers refusing to clean the dams.
    I myself believe these stories all to be urban legend. What do you guys think?
    

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Every lake I've ever fished on had the same stories.
    You want fish like that you need to find some saltwater.:wink:

3. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Hello Gilbert, Good Post. I have also wondered the same thing. Years back my father-in -law and myself would fish below Parker Dam. He told me about divers that would not dive below dam because of monster fish. Fishing below a dam in the middle of the night it certainly gets you thinking!:smile2:

4. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hopefully we can get some first hand accounts of this, like yall have said..same stories at every lake

5. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I bet the see some monster cats in the 100 pound range. And I have swam with big sharks and it looks like some could just swallow you. So I bet most are stories and some get spooked by large 100 pounders

6. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    In my past life as supervisor of the Arizona Collection at the Phoenix Public Library, we got this question from time to time. I asked the Arizona Game & Fish Dept. about it and they told us that Arizona's impounds simply don't have the potential to produce catfish much over the seventy pound range. Myth busted!:0a26:

7. lilmonster23

lilmonster23 New Member

State:
    arizona
    thats what ive always heard too growing up. i think fish gain maybe 2-4lbs a year correct me if im wrong. the flats were stocked in bart in the 30's 40's so if a couple r at least 30-40 yrs old they could be close or in the 100's of lbs. i dont think 1 could eat a man but a small kid is a gonner. on 1 of the fishing shows like river monsters or maybe it is a giant cat knocked a kid off a boat and swollowed him. a day or 2 later the fish was dead and the kid was still in the fishes mouth they both drowned. bart may even have a world record but definatly a st record cause thats where im gonna catch him:0a27:but why dont more people try the dams?

8. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I ahve to disagree, i think nature does things that science cant back up

9. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    River Monsters proves that if a catfish in the 20 pound range was to bite you(highley unlikely) and not let go, that a 20 pound catfish can drag you under and drown you. Now eating you is a different thing. I think this is all urban legend though. I do bet though if you drown, and bloat up, and start falling a part, some channel cats will join the stinky feast!

10. ragincajun19

ragincajun19 New Member

State:
    Arizona

I loved that show except I wanted less blah blah blah and more monster fish!!!

11. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
    You're probably right! That was the official "authorative" answer we provided. One of us 'll just have to prove 'em wrong by wrestling in one of monsters!

Now if you're familiar with the goonch that are suspected of growing to immense proportions by feeding on corpses deposited in the their river habitiat (local burial custom)- you may want to consider donating your body to "the cause". We could start including clauses in our wills to request "burial at sea" in the local fishing hole of your choice in order to"enhance" the food source for our local cats:wink: Who wants to volunteer?!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  12. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    well that wasnt the burial i had in mind but now at least i have more options lol id be freaked out catching cats on human arms...mainly cause of the difficulty of getting them :tounge_out:

i personally dont believe there are 500 pound flatties down there but i bet a 2-300 wouldnt be completly unimaginable

13. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    id rather not have him talk the whole tiem and wrestle in a hippo

14. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
    Lil monster I was thinking the same thing: why is no one fishing the dam? With all the stories going around the dam area should be crowded with boats right? Urban legend for sure, but it is nice to imagine someday one of us will hook up that 100lb + man eater  someday!

15. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    See Ill shed a lil light on Gwille. He has been on this man eating catfish for quite some time, in fact, when we went to San Carlos, I asked him what he liked to use, his response was "real men fish like this", pulled out his knife and took a chunk of meat out of his leg, and threw it out there on a circle hook, and that is what he caught his 18 pound Channel with. Here is the proof picture right here. G Will E dont play around. The guy is tougher than woodpecker lips.

Attached Files:

• leg.jpg
      leg.jpg
      File size:
      19 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  16. Zonaman

Zonaman New Member

State:
    Florida
  17. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Lets drain the mississippi and see

18. GwillE

GwillE New Member

State:
    Phoenix,AZ
     thats funny

19. ragincajun19

ragincajun19 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I think SRP should stock the canals with the goonch and giant mekongs!! :crazy:

20. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona

I see my idea from yesterday has you thinking :smile2: