Face to Face with a red tail hawk

Discussion in 'Outdoor Adventures' started by whodaman, Feb 10, 2008.

1. whodaman

whodaman New Member

Des Moines Iowa
    It was the end of October nice cool clear day, a friend of mine and I were bow hunting for deer down by Mingo Iowa. He was in a tree stand about 300 yards from me , I was in a tree stand that sat in a tree that was along a fence row. The branches on the tree stuck out maybe 7 or 8 feet and i was on the trunk in my self climbing tree stand. We started the hunt at about 5 or 5:30 that morning and it had just hit 1:15 when all of the sudden i heard a flutter of wings. At first i wasn't sure what was going on and then out of no where a fully grown red tail hawk landed on a branch no more then 5 feet from me. My heart started pounding and i wasn't sure what i should do if this thing notices me and attacks. He was a beautiful red tail hawk siting on a branch staring into the field looking for his next meal I bet he sat there for a good 15 minutes before he saw what his heart desired myself on the other hand did not see what he saw but when he flew a way the tree shook a little and my heart rate went back to normal we were unable to produce a deer that day but i went home with one heck of a story. Later that night when i got home i called my dad and told him about my hunt earlier that day and all he said was well thats enough to scare it right out of you. Take a kid hunting