F150

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by MattShannon, Mar 22, 2007.

1. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    I have a 99 ford f150. Been a good truck, but have a problem. When I park in my driveway, which is on an incline, facing uphill, it clicks 1 time when I turn the key. I back down the driveway and it fires right up. It starts everywhere else in the world except there. I can't figure that out. I park in the back yard, facing uphill, and it will start, but not in the driveway for some reason. What are your thoughts on this?

2. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    Is the problem there everytime you park in the drive?

Dave

3. airforceben

airforceben New Member

State:
    california
    the solenoid could not be touching due to the angle of ur driveway??

4. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    Good Morning, you may have bad engine mounts, causing it to pull on the cables ?:confused2:

5. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    I don't think I can post a link to my FORD club so PM me and I will send you the link.

Dave

6. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Boilerman, maybe i can help you. i have 9 years experience in ford dealerships. there is a common problem with the control wires on the starter solonoid. usually just simply a little corroded, and gravity is pulling on the harness a little different. you're hearing the click because there is 2 solonoids. one fendermount, and one on the starter. most of the time, you wont see much. it looks fine. if you want to verify the condition, the next time it acts up have someone hold the key in the crank position. and just wiggle the little spade terminal on the starter. i bet it fires right off. there is a replacement you can get from ford. it's rigid, and it has a small length of wire on it with a glue filled butt connector. i recommend using it, or something like it. dont use one of those cheap spade terminals you get from the hardware store.

7. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    Thanks for the input. Yes it does it about 99% of the time in the driveway. I think the motor mounts are good from what I can tell. Engine stays put when someone steps on the gas and no jerking or jolting while driving. I like idea of holding it in the crank position, never thought of that.