F150 shift indicator

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by Ol Man, May 16, 2007.

1. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I recently acquired a '95 F-150 w/auto transmission. When I shift from P to R, it feels like it dropped into gear but doesn't go anywhere. I have to bring it back up between P & R to move. All the positions are between the letters. Is there any way to sync the indicator with the actual gear it should be in..?? One thing I ain't is a mechanic, shade tree, maybe.:big_smile:

Ol' Man
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Fun is a good thing, but only when it spoils nothing better. (George Santayana)

2. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    sounds like ur shift linkage needs adjusting. I dont know though/

3. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    yes u need to uhook ur linkage and then put the selector lever in park and then re-attach linkage and then see how far off u are from there should be jsut right. pass it on i work on vehicles all the time so hit me if u need anything:cool2:

thanks
    kev

4. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    If just the indicator is off it is adjustable. You have to remove the panel under the steering column. On the right side of the column you will see a small plastic tube going thru a black nut. Put the transmission in neutral and turn the plastic nut until the indicator is in the middle of the N. Then check all the gears and make sure it is right.