Eye won't quit swellin up!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Gibbzilla, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Every night fishin visit for the last month or so, my right eye swells shut any time between 9:45 and 11:00. I get home and take allergy pills and eye drops and all kinds of stuff, but my eye will still be bruised, swollen, and nasty lookin the next day. Ice seems to help to bring down the swelling some, but I need a sure-fire method to look normal the next day. So, does anyone have any suggestions on how to treat my eye after I get home from the trip? I don't want to have to quit fishin in August! :crazy:

2. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Yes! Do all the things you do after you go out only do them before!

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I had trouble with Insect repellent running into my eyes when I sweat,but it got in both eyes.Do you cast on the side that you are having trouble with your eye?It could possibly be something coming off of your line on the rod that Your eye is reacting too.A film or algae out of the water,coating on a braided line?You could try wearing a pair of "Safety Glasses"to see if that could be it.Best of luck.peewee-williams

4. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Yes, I thought about insect repellant. Both eyes swell, but the right one gets much more red and nasty looking, and also swells shut. I also cast on my right side, so I guess your second suggestion could be true too.

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    You need to be nicer to your wife when you get home and the swelling should stop, LOL!!!

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

sound advice from a battered husband, lol. Try useing Visene for Allergy eyes before during and after fishing. In april and may I have to do this for the same symptoms.

7. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    stop touching your face with your hands...it may be your bait or just something in the air that you are rubing. Try takind benadrill before you go.

good luck.

8. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Or you can get a helmet like JW got or learn to duck.:lol:

9. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    i had to use Boric acid eye wash one time for about the same thing as you. But it was something at work in the air. They changed mmmy job location and it hasn't happen in a long time Good luck .

PS duck when she swings from now on.lol

10. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    I know this is a late reply, and this may sound silly, but it works. Put some tea bags in hot water for several minutes. While there still warm, not hot, place them on your eye with your head tilted back, and your eye closed. Do this as often as you can, its very soothing and will help.

11. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    If it's allergies then get to your doctor and ask him for a prescription called "Zaditor" eye drops. I get the same thing during allergy season and these drops do the trick!

12. BamaCats Lady

BamaCats Lady New Member

State:
    Luverne, Alabama
    If it is an allergic reaction, you may need something like prednisone to beat it back. It may be to your advantage to go see your doc when your eye is irritated & explain everything to him, in the meantime I would try the teabag remedy, it may soothe your eyes enough so you don't look like your wife punhed you!
    Lisa

13. BamaCats Lady

BamaCats Lady New Member

State:
    Luverne, Alabama
    Since this reaction has been going on for as long as it has, you may need something stronger than an over the counter (otc) antihistimine. I think you should probably go visit your doc when your eye(s) are inflamed. The doc may want to put you on a course of prednisone (or prednisolone) for the inflamation. You may also want to try an otc eye wash. The only brand that comes to mind is Colerium. It comes with an eyewash cup as part of the cap. The bottle is blue. There are other brands, but I can't recall their names. I am sure the teabags will help to soothe your eyes, but they could also hold in the irritant or make it worse. As I am sure you already, the eyes are nothing to fool around with.
    Lisa
    Sorry about the double post!

14. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    put a slice of dill pickle on the swelling area or take a cigarette and break it, take the tobacco and moisten with water and apply to swelling with a bandaid, this will take the swelling from it

15. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN

LMAO, I bet Angelcat can sure pack a punch! She may be small but I bet she has muscles and uses them quite often. (JW and Angelcat----only jokin' here)

Take care.

16. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    When I was young and foolisher, we used to ride street and road cycles. I'll never forget the couple of summers that my eyes would actually swell shut from the pollen. The whites of my eyes would swell over the iris and pupil, making them it seemed almost turn inside out prior to swelling.

Needless to say, I gave up cycle riding before hitting 20. I still miss the trail bike rides. We used to have a dog named TROG, that was a type of shepard I guess, not sure, never thought about it really. This dog loved me better than his family. We used to do a paper route and ride trail bikes over the knobs from one side of the knob to the other and this dog was amazing. He would always go with us, trotting at a comfortable pace and never miss a lick. He was hit by cars and trucks on a main 4 lane about 10 times before one finally took his life. He loved the road and traveling from place to place. What was even more amazing was that he didn't drink water until he finished the runs with us.

Use insect repellent. Find one that doesn't trigger more allergies. Try to find an 8 hour one if you are going to be out long.

Keep eye drops with you. Also Ice, benedryl, and tylenol or something for pain and itch that comes with it. Ask your pharmacist about benedryl and tylenol together because I don't know your other health problems.

Take care.

17. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

JW, LOL. Adrian doesn't have to worry about a WIFE, he's only 14 years old!