Extremely small pond idea... Need advice

Discussion in 'Pond Fishing' started by crittcocatman, Apr 18, 2008.

1. crittcocatman

crittcocatman New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I have a plan for a very small pond in my yard, and have done some limited research on the project, but thought there might be some good advise here. My plan involves a very small portion of ground(2/10 acre) and will have, a water source(small muddy river with a relift), an aeriator(electric motor driving a paddle), and a pier. My only interest is catfish and I can afford to feed and monitor the pond daily for problems. I love to catch and eat all types of catfish and would love for me and my children to be able to walk out in the back yard and catch fish without walking down a steep bank to the river that is hit or miss fishing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Don't over stock. 150 pounds per acre is about max carrying capacity. It should sustain a few fish and some bait fish however. If it was me, i would use it to raise bait fish,,,and fish the river. Also jerry welcome to the BOC. I'm from central Ark. originally where fish farming is big business.

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Jerry, welcome to the BOC/SOC!

4. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I would do as John has stated. Start a good bait pond and never rely on finding bait again. You might find it to be lucrative and start bait ponds as a business. Who know without giving it a try.

5. crittcocatman

crittcocatman New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Thanks for your help. The problem with fishing the river is that it is not accessable for my children and wife and it is a small river(a tributary of the St. Francis) that fluctuates greatly with heavy rainfall. Right now in the main channel it is about 5 to 7 ft. deep, but 5 or 6 days ago it was 15 ft deeper than that and raging. The fishing there is also erratic, last year I cought one fish all year and the year before I cought 2 or 3 every trip.

6. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    if you go ahead and do it, make sure there are only channels in there. a pond that small cant support enough bait fish to support blues and flats. if i were you i'd go for a trophy brim pond. with some small bass to weed out the small fish.

7. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    just read your post again, and it seems the river is going to flow into your pond? if thats true, place a daily feed dispensers over the water and that should attract fish into your pond and give them a reason to stay. just an idea

8. crittcocatman

crittcocatman New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Thanks, Charles for your post, but the river does not flow into the pond area esp. with the proposed levee. I was reviewing my situation and can probably add a little area to the pond with the moving of one small oak tree. Still will be a very small pond though. I have read that a well managed for profit pond can sustain a great number of fish per acre. I might look to model my pond after those type of ponds and stock it more heavily than 150 per acre. If it doesn't work out I can always remove them(mmmm... tasty). Also I am not interested in any other fish but catfish so I will def. keep it limited to channel and plan to feed and monitor DO-levels daily and aeriate as needed.

9. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    channel catfish smart sound cool having a nice small ponds with cats in it what kind of fish are in the river are you going to allow fish from the river in your pond and will the river flood the pond you are building curious

10. crittcocatman

crittcocatman New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    thanks rick for responding... The river does not flow through pond there is a 20 to 25 foot drop to the river from my property. The river contains all types of fish (channel cats, a few blues and flats, grass carp, buffalo carp, etc...) but it has a steep bank that is hard to climb and sometimes is within a few feet of the top bank and sometimes is almost dry.

11. hawk

hawk New Member

State:
    kenton ohio
    i'd love to be in your situation . But there would be nothing but bait fish in there. I guess it depends how deep you going with you pond and where the water table lays. I'm pretty sure you couldn't support a whole lot of fish in a pond that small. As for your wife and children fishing it you not giving them much room . Cats are a good way to go but you won't be able to sustain anything with any size to it in something that small.

12. ohiocattin15

ohiocattin15 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    throw 150 lbs of catfish and some bluegill and you shouldn't have much matinence

13. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I've done what you propose. It's doable, but challenging.

Stocking at high densities is a bad idea for several reasons, the first being disolved oxygen problems in the summer.

Secondly, you will have created the aquatic equivilant of a feed lot/chicken house. It will quickly become a cesspool, of sorts.

The aquaculture industry drains ponds regularly, and cleans them out...a pretty involved, expensive operation that includes restocking, and heavy equipment in your backyard.

And then, there's bluegreen algae blooms, which will make your fish unfit for the table.

A tiny pond, with a reasonable number of fish in it can be a joy, as long as you don't try to make it what it ain't.

14. Blakemo

Blakemo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You could always just put bullheads in it.There pretty fun!

15. ATTICUS_BUDDY

ATTICUS_BUDDY New Member

State:
    mn originally now NC
    my pond back home we put 150 cats 50 large mouth bass and blue 200 blue gill in it 5 years ago went home on leave a month ago and hammer huge bass and tons of 4-8#channels on liver

16. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    you can put alot of channels in a small pond as long as you feed the...my fater in law stocked 300 channel cats in a 1/4 acre pond...feed the commercial fish food heavy every other day...he now has a pond full of 20-lb channel cats.

17. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    what is bluegreen algae?
    is it like the floating moss on some of the farm pondes here in the south?

18. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    A google search will turn up more than you want to know about the stuff, including pictures.

It's a problem everywhere, but especially in bodies of water with high nutrient levels, like ponds that are heavily stocked and receive high levels of supplemental feeding.