Extreme Fishing

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by crayzeecade, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Dedication to fishing has put some of us into some very interesting situations. In the past I have found myself fishing in some of the worst weather nature has to throw at me.

When I was about 16 I went fishing with my uncle in Illinois and we went to Clinton Lake. I beleive the time was late fall and the weather was getting worse by the hour. because my uncle was a recon marine back in his glory days I think this played some part in our choice of days to go out on the water. I think the averag temp was in the 50's and the rain was starting to come down as soon as we hit the water. For some ungodly reason as soon as we were underway he basicaly went as fast as he could while it was raining to a nearby cove to fish for some bass. The entire time I could plainly remember my fingers being cold as ice and the weather just would not let up. It rained the entire time and it was just about as cold as it could get for a fall day. I don't even think we caught any keepers that even would help us fele any better about how that day went.

As many BOC members as there are I know there would be plenty of extreme fishing stories out there. Please give the gift of extreme fishing and donate your story here it can be from worst weather conditions to days that ended so horribly that you just wanted to quit fishing forever. either way this is the place to let everyone know your story.

2. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Yeah ive done a lot of extreme fishing in the past couple years. I fish a power plant in winter for stripers we got a resident striper population in the delaware that dont migrate down south. I fished through some white out conditions before to catchem. Ive also almost drowned last year at the same spot in february fishing for channels my castnet got stuck at the end of a sharp drop off and I slipped when retrieving it spent the next 2 hours in my car butt naked with the heat on full blast

3. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    and wading through swollen rivers to fish the eddy side of an island. Ive made a lot of foolish decisions while fishing wouldnt be surprised if it catches up with me one day. I get in a zone were I dont think about the downside I only think about the bounty of fish that are waiting for me at the end of the rainbow

4. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Which story would you like to hear?
    The 10 percent chance of rain the night the lake rose 10 ft? What a storm! Not much fishing that night. Thank goodness for the bimini and full curtains!
    The day we walked 1 mile down the mountain trail in T shirts and shorts and walked back up through 5 inches of snow?
    Fishing the Locks at 16 degrees, 20 mph wind, and a right wet mist coming off the water?
    January Crappie fishing in a darn near blizzard? Like to needed medical attention but caught over 150 that day myself, go figure.
    Fog so thick on Lake Erie that we were almost run down by the freighter and later that day four foot waves in a 16 foot boat? That one scared me.
    More thunderstorms and tornado warnings than I care to remember.

Come to think of it, I am not too bright am I? LOL!

5. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    my brother and myself once broke ice for about a city block to get our boat to the river channel.....man it was cold.......we had fun, caught over 100 small stripers,

6. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    had one just today.
    i was trying to find a new spot after i found out that my favorite one was now being used as a barge loading dock, walked two miles just to get snagged on every single rock, almost lose one rod on the trip back, and also forgot to take any water with us

7. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    Down at the Ozarks I got this real deep hole right where a creek channel feeds into the lake..a little ways out from there is about a 6-8 foot mud flat, and I also fish it alot. So I spend the night fishing the flat, and do pretty well, but morning comes and I decide I wanna go back to fish the hole, which is REALLY hard to get to, because its so sholllow all around it. I was in my Champion which sits real low to the water. I've been up all night and I'm out there by myself and as I'm trolling back to my hole, my lower unit snags up on a tree stump and I go flying off the bow of my boat right into the freezing water!! Luckley it was only a few feet deep otherwise I'd have been in trouble.

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

My extreme fishing is mild verses some of you guys but I can say getting hit all over with marbel sized hail trying to get to cover is rough and will leave welts.