Extracting Fish Oil Article

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by DemolitionMan, Mar 20, 2007.

1. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38791

Has anyone tried this to see how much oil you get outa so many lbs of fish????It seem like a good article....I'd also like to thank "Whisler" for the enormous amount of work he's done for the site...I see his name everywhere there's great info....Also, thanks Whistler for the "Table of Contents" on the library....DemoMan

2. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    The method I've heard of is rotting the fish and skimming the oil off the top. Don't expect anything like the processed oil you buy though.
    I would suppose boiling the fish would render oil.
    Carp is an oily fish.
    Mendenal is a saltwater fish thats been used for fish oil for centurys.Ancient mariners used it to waterproof rain gear.

As far as the article I have salt cured fish before. Thats whats happening in the article. Haven't gotten any oil yet.The salt draws the moisture out of the fish.

3. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Thanks for the reply....I've heard of putting cutting up whole fish and putting them in a gallon glass jug and letting them turn to oil....One even suggest leaving them in the jug from about april to november....Hmmmm...Thanks bro, DemoMan....Well, gotta get to bed...Leaving for Temple, Tx in the morning....See you guys this wkend.....DemoMan

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    You gotta have an oily fish, like skipjack. My own personal discovery of extracting oil from skipjack was purely by accident. We had brought back more skippies from Pickwick than my 7' chest freezer would hold, so I decided to try 'curing' the rest, using basically the same procedure as for chicken livers. I filleted the skipjack, cut the fillets into bait sized pieces, sprinkled heavily with salt & garlic powder, left them out in the sun for a day or two, then put the pieces into a couple of large ziploc bags. When I pulled out the bags a couple of months later, there was 1/2 to 3/4 cup of skipjack oil in the bottom of each bag. Sticky? It felt like old linseed oil you use to make a tack rag; absolutely won't come off without soap. I could take a piece of skipjack off the top of the pile in the bag, put it on the hook, try to rinse off my hand, and immediately make a 10' diameter oil circle on top of the water. Fingers still sticky after rinsing off. If you're doing a lot of skippies, try using an old cooler. Layer of salt, layer of skippies, layer of salt, etc. The oil should drain off through the drain hole.

5. DemolitionMan

DemolitionMan New Member

State:
    Tupelo, Mississippi
    Did you freeze the skipjacks(in the bag) in the freezer or keep em at ambient temps???? That sounds like a lot of oil...Did you use the oil for anything????DemoMan

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I didn't freeze the skipjack that were having the oil extracted. There's so much salt that they don't go bad. This last spring I bought 3 foam coolers to use for extracting skippie oil, but they were cracking by the time I got them home. I had to find something to put them in, and the only thing I had on hand was a bunch of gallon pickle jars I was saving for a friend who uses them for canning. The salted skipjack are still in the jars, and I haven't gotten around to pouring off the oil. Use? As an attractant. The oil is thick, salty, and very sticky. The salted fillets can be cut up for bait, too. To give you an idea of how much scent is put out, if you pick up a piece of the cut bait and put it on your hook, then stick your hands in the water to wash them off, you'll get an oil slick about 10' in diameter...and your fingers are still sticky afterward.