Extra risk for female catfishing enthusiasts

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by nccatgirl, Jul 23, 2009.

1. nccatgirl

nccatgirl New Member

State:
    NC
    Well I have done a lot of thinking in the last few days since I was robbed at the remote Eno river access. My interest in landing big cats has not decreased at all but reality may be setting in. The dream of getting our own boat and going out at night anytime we want seems fool hardy at best now.

We still want to get a boat but I now feel I'll have to have a male friend along at all times for sure if we are fishing at night. Women out on the river at night alone in remote areas is begging for trouble. Next time I run into a thug they might not just take my pocket book... they may take my life.

Right now what I really need to find is a friend with a boat big enough to take out 2 extra people catfishing. We would like to go fishing on the Cape Fear or the Neuse rivers at least once a month... maybe twice if they are biting decent and weather permits.

I would hope that someone out there would surely like to be able to go out once or twice a month and have someone else cover ALL the expenses with probably some extra cash for their trouble. Anyone wanting to know about us can just ask Kevin Jackson "The Flathead Reaper" and he can tell you all about us. We are good folks and just love to fish.

If any of you guys are interested just please let me know. Saturday night works best for us and we can fish all night. Best wishes to everyone here on the BOC... Nicole.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  2. FTL6

FTL6 New Member

State:
    Reading,Pa.
    That sucks.:angry: I know how you feel. I am a male ,live in pa. and go by myself alot. I'm always turning my hear when walking back to get the trailer. if I lived there ,be more than happy to take you along,but I'm not.Maybe you can check into a piece carry permit and put it right between their eyes the next time.:big_smile: Good luck and watch your back.

3. Mako

Mako New Member

State:
    HOPE MILLS, NC
    Yea thats the worst part is all the rift raft always hanging at the boat ramp or bank. Never know about the crazy people. Get a concealed gun permit Nicole...Its good to have bank fishing or on the boat these days. :doubt:

4. The Flathead Reaper

The Flathead Reaper New Member

State:
    Grays Cree
    dont worry nicole...........we'll go out again soon...............oh yeah.....i found you a boat.........ill call you later with the details!:wink:

5. catfishhunter2009

catfishhunter2009 New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Nicole ,
    If you are that conserned ,and have the catfishing passion , I would strongley suggesting you get a gun . I will let nothing stand in the way of the sport I love . If I was worried about it I would definetly have some type of protection , and in todays world unfortinatly it would need to be a gun . I know that might sound crazy to you but their is some wacked out nut jobs out there (worse than me){LOL} . I hope you don't give up your desire to fish over some punk a** thugs . :big_smile::wink:

6. jmanion8

jmanion8 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Get a gun...or pepper spray...or a big dog.

Good luck with finding someone near you!

7. Mako

Mako New Member

State:
    HOPE MILLS, NC
    Yes watch out for Nick he likes to throw sinkers at people...:0a10:

8. Shimano_cat

Shimano_cat New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I hate the times that we live in now, but a Glock 45 with a tactical rail mounted laser is part of my night time catfishing gear. I don't just take it along, I wear it until I get back in the truck to leave. I will not let someone keep me from the sport I love.

9. nccatgirl

nccatgirl New Member

State:
    NC
    Well I want to clear a few things up… first of all my spouse and I are very, very big gun enthusiasts. My spouse already has their CCW and carries all the time. I totally agree it’s great to have a weapon on board the boat but unfortunately it is not a cure all.

Let me give you an example… let's say some people slowly pass by and check out you and your boat like most people do when boating on a river. You can't tell the good guys from the possible bad guys unless you really know them. This problem gets much worse in the darkness and you can’t see them until they are practically on top of you.

They could slowly pull up to the boat with a hidden gun talking friendly and then at the last second pull it out lightning fast. They would get the drop on you very easily. It kind of defeats the whole purpose of going out to fish for fun if you have to hold your gun in one hand and the rod in the other trying to be ready to get the drop on any passer by. It would be pretty hard to reel in that big flathead while holding a gun in one hand.

The thing is if a boat of thugs rides by and sees a boat full of good ole boys... they will probably think twice before pursuing mischief. If they see a boat with just women on board... they will think this is going to be easy pickings. We are BOTH very proficient with firearms BUT the last thing we want to do is play shootout at the OK Corral with somebody on the river.

The cold hard reality is that you are perceived to be easy prey as a woman whether you are or not. This dramatically increases the chance of a foul play incident. I just think it makes logical sense to have a male on board at all times at night even when we have our own boat down the road. It just may be enough to make others think twice before attempting something criminal… Nicole.

10. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Honestly , as far as that goes , I've always tried to view everyone equally irregardless of gender. Oh , how I wish you all lived in CLT - I'd be more than happy to accompany you two on the nearby river. There are some ladies I know who are built like linebackers that not only would 'rock their boat' , but sink it too!! Basically what I'm trying to say is dont let mierdas keep you from your passions! Push comes to shove , take someone who you trust who'd be a 'sniper on the lookout' so to speak. I fish solo - it's dangerous , I'm not too fond of it , but what the f$%#? Like I siad previously , everyone I know is scared. They have succumbed to society and the lemming like fears shared by too many.:cool2:!!

11. Shimano_cat

Shimano_cat New Member

State:
    North Caro
    No boat full of good ole boy's here, although I consider myself one. My fishing partner almost 100% of the time is my girlfriend and we both carry. We've never had a problem to date and don't keep the guns in our hands, but just feel safer knowing they are there.

12. Cathunter Pete

Cathunter Pete New Member

State:
    Fayetteville NC
    I think the best thing to do as many others have said is to carry a firearm. I carry mine when I fish alone, and when I have a group out with me. I usually always put in at Riverside, and haven't had a problem yet, however there is a bunch of rif raff (saying it nicely) in that area. There has been issues in the past with vehicle break ins. I try to fish at least once every 10 days, sometimes I'll get out more than that. If you all would like to go out I see no problem with taking the two of you along. I usually prefer the weeknights as that's when there is less crowd, and the fish seem to bite better:wink:. Just send me a PM, I fish from a 2009 Bentley Pontoon and usually fish 12 to 15 poles out of the holders.

13. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    "....We are BOTH very proficient with firearms BUT the last thing we want to do is play shootout at the OK Corral with somebody on the river...."

Wow, impressive thought process there ma'm.

Lotta dead cowboys out there.

Most people think a gun is a cure all, but it will many times give you a false sense of security. :wink:

Once someone has the drop on you the gun you are carrying is useless.

A fireman is a last line of defense; too bad most gun carrying folk ignore the other forms of defense.

14. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    As mentioned, GUN and DOG! You should have NO need a fear while fishin'.

Bill in SC

15. Kit

Kit New Member

State:
    NC
    Be surprised how often a fillet knife has saved me. Make sure to carry one, or at least a nice size fishin' knife.

16. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Be advised that carrying a loaded weapon is illegal on most NCWRC managed ramps.

17. Magnus777

Magnus777 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Why do you think the thugs would pass by a couple of "good ol' boys" in a john boat, and single you out instead? It's because they're looking for an easy mark. If you LOOK like a victim, then you are more likely to BECOME one...whether or not you are carrying a gun. And while I do indeed agree with the logic of carrying a firearm, it's the ATTITUDE of "I'm packing heat, and I won't hesitate to burn you if you mess with me" that will much more often than not cause a criminal on the prowl to look elsewhere. It's the same in the animal world, and in all of nature...it's not always the size of the dog, but his perceived level of aggression...he walks with a confident step, he makes eye contact, and uses body language to communicate "I'm one, MEAN mutha, and I will BITE YOUR AZZ!" Other dogs automatically sense that through simple instinct, and they leave him alone! So if you, or your partner are already carrying a firearm, then I say good for you. If you're not, then both of you should seriously consider carrying one at all times. BUT MUCH MORE IMPORTANTLY...you should seek firearms training and instruction which will: 1) Teach you constant awareness and surveillance of your surroundings, 2) Give you the knowledge required to pick up on potential confrontation, and to avoid them if possible, and 3) The confidence in your skills that will allow to react to a potentially dangerous situation without panicking, escape or evade if possible, and use your abilities to dominate the situation when there is no other choice. Go forth armed with confidence, skill, and knowledge, and you will likely never have to fire a shot in defense. Your typical boat ramp thug will pick up your Alpha scent from a mile away, and give you a WIDE berth....but in the unlikely event that you're approached by the one brain-dead moron in ten-thousand who's stupid enough to test his bad luck, you're ready and able to light up his world! Good luck to you, may the sun warm you, the cool breeze comfort you, and the fish greet you with hunger wherever you wet your hook!

J

18. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I'll take every measure possible to be safe in whatever I do. i am always armed when on the water, but if its my time to go and someone robs me and takes my life, I now where I'll be and I'm not scared to go. Live life to the fulelst and don't let fear keep you cooped up. The bad guys are human just like you and I are and they bleed the same as we do. Just use common sense and always be aware, but don't let it keep you off the water.. I fyou do that, then they win and you lose. If I have an open seat, anyone is welcome to it... Have fun, be safe and leave some in the water!!

19. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    It's a shame you have to deal with this situation but it's best to be safe. I myself bank fish alone at night and carry a 70# Pitbull with me. Nobody sneaks up on me and most of the time people see the dog and leave to fish somewhere else, LOL.

I hope you find a way to work things out, good luck and stay safe; )

20. The Flathead Reaper

The Flathead Reaper New Member

State:
    Grays Cree
    it is illegal to have a loaded gun on the ramp.........but when i get on the water....:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:.......