Extra Large bait for Flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by 40 Pound Club, Jun 21, 2006.

1. 40 Pound Club

40 Pound Club New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have a super heavy 8 foot ugly stik rod and penn salt water spinning reel that can cast bait fish up to a pound or more. At what point do you think I am over doing it with the large baits. Also, how does everybody else hook thier extremely large baits, I don't feel comfortable with a single 10/0 hook on a 14-16" baitfish such as a sucker or drum.

2. FlatheadMan

FlatheadMan New Member

State:
    Freedom,Pa
    I use 4/0 in front and a 7/0 for a trailer 6 to 8inch gap depending on bait size

3. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    I use 14/0 single hooks with big live fish all the time without problems. Just handle it gently and don't expect to cast it too far.
    As far as overdoing it, what cat would eat a 15" drum that wouldn't eat a 10" drum? I'm all for the big-bait-big-fish theory, but the rig also has to be manageable. What good is it if you can't get it where you need it to be?
    If you really want to use baits that large, consider a 12' or 14' surf rod and a casting/trolling reel.
    It is nice not having to take little fish off your hooks all night, isn't it?

4. kurt

kurt New Member

State:
    ohio
    Or row them out in a boat and drop them in.

5. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i once used a 13" drum with a 10/0 big river hook and ran the hook under the spine behing the dorsal fin, and caught a 10# with it. when i caught it the tail of the drum was hanging out of its mouth. i like big bait cause it seems like the gar wont mess with it as much, which gar are bad where im at.

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Like mentioned above I would use a 10/0 or 12/0 Gama Big River hook. The point needs to be completely exposed. The problem with bigger baits are they are stronger and will try to seek cover and get snagged. You can cut their dorsal fins and trim some of the tail fin off to limit their mobility.

7. 40 Pound Club

40 Pound Club New Member

State:
    Illinois
    thanks, I am trying to figure out a way to use some sort of trailer hook but I don't know if I should tie the second hook to the first hooks eyelet or in the curve after I have hooked the fish once. Its not a matter of using big hooks cuz I got plenty, its more of a matter of throwing 1-2 pounds 30-40 feet in the air without cussing after I lose bait that took me time to catch.

8. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    It's gonna be really hard to get the weight of the bait evenly distributed on two hooks no matter how you rig them.
    You could try the pike/muskie type set up, by tying a snell knot to a big hook that goes in the snout, leaving a tag end long enough to Palomar knot on another hook, which you embed in the back near the dorsal fin.
    That's my best idea, good luck.

9. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    Caught my biggest fish on a 14 inch redhorse sucker. I agree with the other guys on the big river hooks, i got some not long ago and like them for big live bait.

10. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I figure using a lively sunfish or bullhead, if you can place it in front of a big flathead it will get hit. Using those super jumbo baits will eliminate catching smaller fish, and maybe less active big cats as well.

Why would a big flathead be more likely to nail a big carp than a sunfish invading his territory? I think the "regular" size baits are just as likely to get whacked, and by a larger range of fish. A flathead would have to be both big and very aggressive to nail a giant bait. Sometimes even those big flatheads can pick-up pretty light... in those instances I don't think a 1 1/2-2 # bait will see much action.

I use some good sized sunfish, but nothing requiring hooks larger than 5/0-7/0....

Shawn

11. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know that some people around here will use Channel Cats up to 3#'s. The results speak for themselves. Would they have hit on smaller baits, who knows, but why mess w/ a good thing! :smile2:

12. 40 Pound Club

40 Pound Club New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with that, I like to throw the larger baits because 3 pound channel cats and flats can't get a 1 pound sucker or bullhead into thier mouth. This way, my huge bait stays in the water longer so a monster can swim up and grab it. I've missed, but havent caught a few fish while fishing with huge baits. One was with a 1-2 pound channel catfish as bait, the other a big fat bullhead.

13. liveforcattin08

liveforcattin08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    ya big fish will eat small bait but so will smaller fish and if small fish are eating your bait then the smaller amounts of larger fish wont ever get to see your bait hugebait= huge fish

14. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    with big bait you should use a stinger hook not a trailer hook, same thing only different. a stinger hook has a heavy line about 3 to 5 inches long ataching it to the big hook or you can tie it to the same place you tie the main hook. I seen Bill Dance use one made buy Gama but I have never seen one for sale anywhere. I think the one he used had 80 lb line on it. I don't remember what knid of main hook he used.

15. bigyella

bigyella New Member

State:
    Texas
    I agree with what someone else stated. The big baits detour the gar. Not the big yellas. I have caught 1 pound flatheads on 8 inch baits. I dont think any legal size flathead would have any problem with a 15 inch bait.

16. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Most of my bigger flatheads 25-lbs and up have come on very small baits, such as cutbaits the size of your thumbnail..I have never really tried big baits, I might give them a shot.

17. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    Most of my big flatties have come on small pieces of cutbait. The only thing i've caught with 7 to 9 inch bluegill are two 10lb channels. I've caught a good any flatheads on 4 to 6 inch bream though.

18. FlatheadMan

FlatheadMan New Member

State:
    Freedom,Pa
    I been catching these blue gills from a small lake out the road there around 6 or 7 inch but very fat like a bass colored like a punkinseed gill but there like some sort of hybrid there mouth is like a bass like a rock bass with gillys colors and when i can catch them the flattys destroy they things cant keep my poles baited and Ive gotten some 20#ers on them the bigger gills i still catch fish on but not as many.

19. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
    From my limited experience the big flattie i caught it was a lil smaller than hand size bluegill, whats odd is half of his head was purple-black color and my partner was making fun of him, i described it to the biologist and he said that bluegills will sometimes have birthmarks and that he thought that was what it was, the tropical storm cat 24 pounder, my partner caught him on a very small bluegill maybe 3 fingers top to bottom, the fish i caught after my big one after we iced him down and headed back to campsite we stopped half way back and i caught about a ten pounder on a big warmouth.

20. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    FlatheadMan..

Do those baits have a yellow edge to the fins? They sound like large green sunfish, which are my favorite live bait...

Shawn