Extending rod storage/glass boat question

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by 223Smitty, Jun 9, 2006.

1. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have a rod storage compartment that runs down 1 side from the front casting deck, to the rear one (16' boat). It's just over 8' in length (the rod compartment). The Problem is it's got a divider in it on 1 end (which makes an additional smaller storage box about 14-16" long), so I actually have just under 7' for rods.

My question is, is there any "structural" reason I can't cut it out & make it to fit 7' (plus) rods? Best I can tell it's a single -wall of glass.

Thanks!
    Smitty

2. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I don't know for sure but it seems like it would be ok as long as the divider is not part of a stringer. if it is a worry maybe you could drill holes for the end of the rods without remove the entire divider

Danny

3. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    That was kind of my way of thinking Danny. I'd rather remove it than drill holes & have the eyes on my rods hit it everytime I took them in & out. I didn't think it'd be a problem, but thought I should ask before I cut :crazy: lol

Thanks!
    Smitty

4. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Are you sure it's not a side wall beam? If not I'd take it to a boat shop that does custom work on fiberglass boats and ask them. You don't won't to cut it & then find out your side wall has been weakened.