extending onboard charger wires

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by mandingo, May 21, 2008.

1. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    i know that they say not to,but why cant you extend the wires just a lil to reach?im gonna have to do a little weight dispursement due to a new heavier motor and im gonna have to put the 2 trolling motor batteries up near the bow somewhere.the charger is mounted towards the back of the boat and the wires aint gonna reach the front without a little extension but i dont want to do it if its gonna fry the batteries or charger.so what do you electricians think?

2. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I would start with a call to the manufacture and see what they had to say.
    Would it not be possible to move the charger forward along with the batteries? I would hate to pass alone any advice that would cause you to do damage or cost yourself money.:eek:oooh:
    I had to move the batteries on my tracker a few years ago and ended up moving the charger forward with them.

3. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    well i kinda want to keep the motor/electronics battery at the back and move the 2 trolling motor batteries to the front.i might try moving the charger to the middle of the boat to see if they will stretch both ways but by the looks of it i dont think it will work.

4. boliver

boliver New Member

State:
    Rudy Ark
    I extended mine about 6' longer literature said to keep fuse close to the battery so i cut fuse and spliced in wire, soidered and heat shrink been using it about a year with no problems. My charger is a min-kota don't know i this will work for all. They do sell a extender package.

5. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    mine is a minn kota 3 banker also.i dont see the harm in it but i think im gonna call them just to make sure.i bet the fuse position has something to do with it.thanks again

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    The fuse position is to keep from having a long length of wire exposed to the boats hull melting down incase of a short out. The fuse being close to the battery gives it a short distance to burn so an open fire is less likely.