Experimenting with new bait 8/30 (salmon eggs)

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by RiverKat, Aug 30, 2006.

1. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I caught some nice female King Salmon last week and saved the eggs to try as cut bait for cats. I went to the Grand late this morning ( 11:00 ) and gave it a good try. I used the same slip rig as I always do except for one thing. I teid the hook on using a snell knot. This way I can hold a large piece of skein to the hook. I attached golf ball sized chunks of spawn to the hook and cast them in front of some good logjams. I noticed a white cloud of scent that comes off the bait as soon as it hits the water. That's probably a good thing I thought to myself. Sure enough not 5 minutes went by and I was fighting a fish, or so I thought. Turned out to be a large turtle. Not sure what kind, shell was soft to the touch. I relocated after landing the turtle and promptly landed 4 channel cats as quickly as I could rebait and get the spawn back in the water. I was pretty amazed. Kind of felt like the 1st time I ever tried dip bait. I did'nt want to spook the fish to bad at this spot so I left after only 10 minutes. I have a charter for Saturday and I'll be giving the spawn a try there again. Going tommorow morning to the big lake to get some more spawn!

Pros and cons to the spawn thing...

1. ( Con) It's pretty messy in the boat. You need to cut it in chunks and this gets pretty sticky. More so than cutting fresh baitfish.
    2. (Pro) It gives off a ton of scent downstream which is always a good thing when it comes to catfishing.
    3. (Pro) It's free. Well maybe not when you add up the downriggers and all the big lake tackle!
    4. (Con) Small fish like to peck at it. I lost a couple baits from little bites.
    5. (Pro) Unlike fish it can be frozen for a period of time and used later.

Dan

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have never thought about using salmon eggs for catfish. I use them to trout fish though. Thanks for the pointer.

3. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Sounds like a new bait, thanks for sharing brother.

4. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    congrats. now u needa find that record in those lakes around u and land em :) Thanks and good find

5. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    I used to work with a guy who fished only with a fly rod.
    He would tie spawn sacks onto snelled hooks specifically to target channel cats.
    He always said he did well with them.

6. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    Sounds like a pretty good bait. good job and thanks for the tip

7. ironorr

ironorr New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Well I would like to introduce myself to the Michigan guys as I am new here so bear with me. I'm new to catfishing but I've been freshwater fishing since I was a child. Mostly natrual and man-made lakes and such so I am anxious to get on the bigger waters and rivers. Anyway I just thought I'd chime in and thought that the spawn sacs sound like a good idea and if anyone has no luck catching the salmon, they can be purchased pretty cheap on FishUSA. Hope this helps a little guys!

8. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Welcome to Michigan, Georg,
    we have a great bunch of fishermen here with a broad range of experience on many waters accross the state.
    Hope you enjoy it here!
    Tony

9. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Great, I always like it when someone thinks of a new way to catch fish. reps to you