Experimenting with a new homemade bait

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by ken_hawk, May 11, 2008.

1. ken_hawk

ken_hawk New Member

State:
    Halstead, Kansas
    -several perch, sunfish, or shad
    -tub of chicken liver from grocery store
    - 1/2 or 1 pound of cheese (velveeta, limburger, any kind)
    -tablespoon salt
    -garlic powder/salt (optional)
    -empty peanut butter jar

1. cut cheese into chunks and place into blender
    2. Cut up bait fish and put into blender
    3. Dump tub of livers into blender, blood included
    4. Put in salt/garlic powder
    5. Blend together in blender
    6. Put in old peanut butter jar
    7. Place in sun for 1-3days
    8. FISH!!!

* I am also considering trying this with the preserved shad that are sold in walmart in those bags. The preservatives might keep it all from rotting and getting maggots or anything like that in it. This would be best used with a dip bait worm. I have not yet made this bait so I do not know how much it will make. I will first try it using 1/2 pound of cheese. I will make up a batch next weekend and try it out with sunfish in it. Any ideas anyone wants to add to this are welcome and I would be glad to give it a try. This is my first homemade bait so I am just trying new things out to see what works. Any advice, tips, or comments would be greatly appreciated.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    The idea should work. One thought of caution. If you use the wifes kitchen blender she will divorce you. Go to a yard sale and buy you a used one for yourself. Also you will probably not need to age the mix for it to work.

3. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    That should work great, but you might have to hold your nose while you are making it and I agree dont use the womans blender trust me they dont like that to well, dad done moms like that and he slept on a couch for a week lol.

4. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    one small suggestion on the salt. Go and buy some non iodized salt. From what I have learned Catfish don't like iodine, but your bait should work okay even if ya didn't. You got enough stuff in there to take away from the iodine in the salt.

The Garlic salt will have iodine in it too so I would only use Garlic Powder.

5. huskerkat

huskerkat New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Good luck! Make sure you let us know how it works once you try it out. There are enough other recipes on here that people say they will let us know how they work and we never hear from them again! (see thread on soap bait for fine example!):wink:

6. ken_hawk

ken_hawk New Member

State:
    Halstead, Kansas
    Thanks for the replies. I don't have a wife so I don't have to worry about that one,lol. I am just gonna get a cheap blender from a local secondhand store. And don't worry I'll be sure to report back once I'm able to use this bait. I'm not sure if it'd need salt at all really. I thought it may help keep the bait fresh or something.

7. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Salt will help keep it fresh but be sure and buy the non iodized salt. You can get it at your grocery store.

8. aggiecat

aggiecat New Member

State:
    texas
    Would hog lard thicken this bait up a little. I think lots of prepared baits have this. I have not read this anywhere, but when its cold, the bait is thick. As the day gets warmer, the bait gets softer. Just a thought.

9. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you use Cheese Whiz, you will have all of the preservative you need. I put some out to get rank. Two weeks in the the sun didn't faze it! lol

10. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    That's a pretty good idea. I was gonna try something like it.

11. JoshFisher

JoshFisher New Member

State:
    Tinker AFB, Oklahoma
    last summer i made something close to this and it worked wonders, and this year i added a little more garlic salt and now not even the ducks want it haha... so definently watch the garlic salt and how much you put in, and dont by shy with the liver either lol... other then that tho, grab your rod mate cause u should do work with that dip :eek:oooh:

*p.s the best part of dip baits is when you got some left in the shed from summers back and you open that bad boy up for the first time in months... lol gasmask down =p

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    IMO, the maggots will only add to the attractiveness of the bait. I'd let lots of them infest the mixture, then blend them into it. I'm so sold on maggots as a bait, that I've been planning on making up a maggot dip bait as soon as hot weather (and lots of flies) gets here.

13. ken_hawk

ken_hawk New Member

State:
    Halstead, Kansas
    I haven't been able to make it yet. I just got home from college and i'm a bit short on funds at the moment but once I get enough to buy an old blender and get the other stuff I'll go try it out.

14. TurboJim

TurboJim New Member

State:
    El Paso, Texas
    I would add a scoop of lard to the mix to put a little oil into the water. :cool2:

15. TurboJim

TurboJim New Member

State:
    El Paso, Texas
    Tear up some cotton balls and add them to the mix as well, holds on the hook longer:cool2:

16. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you've got skipjack in your area, or any other oily fish, you can extract the oil with salt and use it in your recipe. Otherwise, I'd think that bacon drippings would work better than lard. Of course, you could always buy something like menhaden oil online to use.

17. hawk

hawk New Member

State:
    kenton ohio
    sounds like you have a pretty good mix. The only thing about wally world shad is the suck the oil out when they pack them so there no good. And for the cotton balls I wouldn't even think about that. I've got some home made stuff and you have to pull it off the hook at the end of the night. When you get your blender see if they have a cheap food processor also . Get some whole oats and grind them into a coarse powder . Mix what ever your making into what looks like play dough .If you can roll it in your hand and it stays together then it will stay on your hook. Make sure you let the mixture soak into the oats though . It will work wonders .

18. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    Do you use only the chunks of fish & cheese after it soaks???
    I've not tryied my own yet, but here it goes.....
    2 croakers or other small bait fish
    4 chunks of lobster's tail
    4 pcs shrimp tails
    10 pcs crawfish tails
    1/4 teaspoon of extract
    1 pkg of jello
    place the above in blender & blend
    place in mixing bowl
    add wheaties & flour to perfection
    Let's see what happenens next!

19. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Some time back, I read on the web where someone had run a test on various types of cheese & cheese baits. The results indicated that chunks of sharp cheddar cheese worked best.