Experimental hand fishing season over before it begins?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by dougc, Mar 22, 2007.

1. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    They reported on the news this morning that MDC is not taking any more applications for the proposed experimental noodling season which was to run June 1 through July 15. I don't see any updates on the MDC website on the subject though. I wonder if they axed the idea before it even starts?

The only hand grabbing I'll be doing is hoisting my fish for the camera!:lol:

2. Gary S.

Gary S. New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I don't know either. Seems strange to me that it would die so quickly, uless there was next-to-no interest. But that seems a little unlikely.

3. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Saw a post on another site this morning refering to that...like you said...MDC site had nothing about it.:0a28:

I guess there just wasn't much interest.They sold about 70 permits last year....maybe 20 fish reported back in.
    Of course,restricting it to 70 miles of 2 rivers for 45 days,and having to apply to Jeff. city for a permit didn't cause a lack of interest:lol: :happy: :happy: :happy:

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Saw it in the paper this morning. Didn't give any reason. Maybe more later.

5. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Good now they can use the money to really get the Catfish management plan going. Lets start growing some world record size fish and protect them to be able to catch them at a later date.:cool2:

6. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    heck ya!! I want my picture with a world record fish!!!

7. whiskerlover

whiskerlover New Member

State:
    St. joseph Missouri
    Very well said Willy.

8. MississippiJugHead

MississippiJugHead New Member

State:
    Missouri
  9. smallriverrat

smallriverrat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I am guessing but another problem with hand fishing that they had is that people was using equipment that they was not surpose to. That is why they clarified the rules for this year for hand fishing. I guess some people was using scuba equipment and other things to hand fish. (Which is why they said in the rules for this year no scuba equipment.) Anyways that is my opinion.

Dave

10. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Ban it !!! The best fight is on rod and reel........:big_smile: You can feed your family without noodling......

11. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I dont really approve of noodlin but I guess if they do it legally it is ok. They sure arent going to take more fish than the trotliners and juggers. And that is another story. Mississippijughead, my friend is a game warden and he said in the next few years, dont know just when yet, they will probably change the limit to where you can only keep one or two fish over say 30 inches. Its not set in stone but they are very seriously thinking about it. I hope it passes.

12. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Here are some relevant excerpts from the article:

"Steve Eder, fisheries division chief for the Missouri Department of Conservation, said the experiment should end early because scientists have found higher-than-expected mortality rates among catfish in state waters. He also suggested that further limits could be imposed on all types of catfish harvests.

"We're probably going to be more conservative in our harvest restrictions on catfish," he said."

13. Crawdad

Crawdad New Member

State:
    Mid-Missouri
    Yeah, that's what we need, more regulations.:crazy:

14. cook

cook New Member

State:
    An estimated 2,000 Missourians fish by hand, according to Ramsey, compared with nearly half a million who fish using traditional methods.

Ramsey said 159 permits have been issued over the past two years, with a total of 27 catfish caught by hand. State officials alerted permit-holders to the proposed changes in a March 16 letter.

Steve Eder, fisheries division chief for the Missouri Department of Conservation, said the experiment should end early because scientists have found higher-than-expected mortality rates among catfish in state waters.

Hmmmmmmm!!?????:0a33:
    Something ain't adding up!!

Is mr Elder refering to a total of 27 catfish?:roll_eyes: :0a35:

Or the fry?

On thing I'm guessing...it was supossed to be a 5 year experiment.I'm guessing all the funding for enforcement,research,advertising,etc... was already allocated...wonder where it went after only 1 year??:0a10: :0a10:

15. STICKBENDER

STICKBENDER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I can say for myself this is one of the smartest things Department has done in a long time. They now have a list of at least 159 known violaters. Why should conservation waste there time and resources to monitor this type of fishing for only 159 people. I think I could get 159 people to sign up for about anything.
    I for one have seen the main ones who pushed for this violating it , watched them come into ramp at MARK twain lake soaked from head to toe, unload fish and not a hook in site. If they are doing this, how could we beleive they would turn in the truthful amount of fish.
    JMTC

Stickbender

16. cook

cook New Member

State:
    You sound passionate about this....but why are the people that bought a permit violaters?:0a28:

17. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    if i read this right 2000 people noodle catfish.159 got permits.that means 159 people are trying to obey the law.the other 1841 said to heck with it.so if they make it ileagle the same 2000 people are going to be noodling.so what was accomplish.

18. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The only reason they got a experimental season was because the conservation commission got the deal shoved down their throats by some unimformed state rep in Jeff City and the State Gov. needs to stick with what they know and stay out of the fish management business.As for the money alloted for studies the money was in the first place robbed from the Catfish Management plan studies and was earmarked for getting our catfish headed in the right direction in the first place.These people wanted to be able to handfish all over the state and how can you keep up with all the lawbreakers now on top of watching for handfishing being done statewide?This fight aint done yet but I hope they kill this deal and bury it where it belongs. We have a chance to put catfish in the best possible position to grow big and be able to catch alot of them if given a chance to grow to their full potential.If you can tell I am really against handfishing and know firsthand how effective it is on taking larger fish.I will say that I have done it and saw what is being done to our brood stock in smaller rivers and have thoughts on how much a impact it could have on populations of flatheads in my area.

19. STICKBENDER

STICKBENDER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well I know for a fact that part of the 159 were handfishing in MArk Twain lake, and this wqas not legal so they are violaters, plus my guess is that most of the 159 had noodled before there was a season, and if they did it before, Iwould assume they would continue

No I dont agree with Hand fishing, yes I 've done it years back, and I would pull more fish from the water in one summer than all the Missouri members on here would take in a summer. I know better now and I know the effects it has.
    Passionate , yes, I feel that if the department went to the trounle of writing up the regs for a experimental season that you definately should abide by the rules. Then I run across the leaders fighting for this experiment violating it right off the bat.

20. cook

cook New Member

State:
    So,did you call this in or report these violations?I left a fishing spot to call 1-800-game-thief last year.Hated to leave,but it was the right thing to do.