Experiment gone bad

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by Mac-b, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    During the summer months we have a hard time keeping white perch alive for more than one day. So, I got the bright idea of putting them in my fish trap and dropping then down into the water to a depth of 12 feet, hoping that the water would be cooler down there and they would get suffient oxygen. I had twenty plus in the fish trap and when I pulled the trap up by the rope, I had one hell of a surprise. I had two water snakes and a cooper head in the basket. The smaller water snake got out from the side, the cooper head curled up in the basket and so, I left it and the basket on the dock for a while. When I returned the cooper head was gone but one of the water snakes got caught in the basket and choked itself. Photo's of the basket and snake that died. I guess I will have to wait for cold weather conditions to use this method for my white perch.

2. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    He got fat and then couldn't get out huh??LOL!!Good for him..Sorry but I can't stand snakes..

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Sounds to me like your thought process was rite on the money. Can't say the same for the snake when he went in there. LOL! Thanx for the story and pics.

4. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Wow, that would be quite the suprise! I didn't know copperheads swim underwater that deep. Interesting! Just use the snake as cutbait since he ate your fish!

5. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    That's another reason i don't collect old throw-nets i see laying around the water anymore....i found 1 earlier in the summer thinking man free-lead:tounge_out: It was full of copperheads and water-mocasians..i bet there were 5 of each in that net:crazy:

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <I didn't know copperheads swim underwater that deep. Interesting!>

I also find that amazing! NO IDEA that they would do that either. On a positive note, Mac, you have clearly invented a fine snake trap! :wink:

Bill in SC

7. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    I know I typed 12 feet, but I went down and turned my sonar on and it showed 7.5' and the trap is off to the side of where the boat is moored. Would you not go an extra two or three feet for a free meal ?

8. baitnwait

baitnwait New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Mac, maybe you should just try another experiment. Snake for bait!:smile2:

9. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I hate snakes.:crazy:

10. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yikes,
    a fellow here showed us some pics somewhere on this site, of a Rattlesnake swimming by his boat.. I think he was fishing in Bartlett lake, in Arizona..
    anyhow, it was a pretty good sized critter........
    Mama,, call the dogs in.......

11. deadly_legend

deadly_legend New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    wow, thats pretty amazing, would hate to pull up a basket of snakes, but do what the others are saying, and try one as bait next time it dies in your basket :big_smile:

12. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    was a good thought,anyway.never thought those snakes would swim that deep anyway

13. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    That would be a very interesting surprise!! I know you must have been disappointed at the loss of bait however!

14. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i hate snakes ooooooowwwwww i guess i would have gave theam that cage iv had copper heads get in my minow traps befor a 12 gaug will destroy a minow trap lol i know from exspereuns lol and would do it agen im not playing when it comes to snakes

15. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    snakes are fine by me. never had one mess with me less i messed with him. snakes are real good swimmers. look at there design. a tube of muscle. they can dive with ease. this summer i was bluegill fishing at the lake. when a water snake swam up on me. i dropped a small green sunfish i was gonna toss back. and he grabbed it like it was the last supper. the rest of the summer while i was panfishing if i seen a snake i would toss him one. never know where you will make a new friend. i trust them more than some folks.:big_smile:

16. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks for the story and there is always something looking for a free meal

17. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Mac just out of curiosity what methods have you tried? I have kept them for weeks in my 500 gallon holding tank that i normally keep shad in. If you interested I can get you some pics of my setup.

18. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    That was interesting! I'm surprised that any of the snakes were still alive. In the past i have had several water snakes enter my bait traps, but they always drown when they couldn't surface to get air. Of course, some may have eaten a fish or two and excaped!

As for the copperhead...you were much kinder than I would have been!

19. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    cat i know what ya mean some folks are wors than snakes for sher

20. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    This is very common in the southeast.At 63 I have had hundreds of snakes caught in traps over the years.Most were large snakes caught in my 2 inch mesh catfish traps on the Santee.Many more in minnow traps over the years.Most were dead.

With a small mesh minnow trap,just plug the entrance for bait keeping.The 1/4 inch mesh works fine.Do not use the woven fabric mesh as the turtles will eat a hole in them at times.Wire your traps off good.Otters,coons,mink and Gators have all stolen or tore up mine over the years.People steal them.

Rattle Snakes swim well.I once found one about 5 foot long floating a couple miles off of Tybee Island heading east on the out going tide.We were having flood tides and I guess the strong current caught it.I threw my cast net over it and brought it back as I was headed in.It crawled out of the net.Interesting trip with a interesting passenger beside the snake aboard.He watched that snake for us.Neither has ever been in a boat with me since.I turned it loose on a small island when I got to one.

Cotton Mouths make very good pets and will readily learn to eat fresh fish heads and such.They were the easiest to feed of all the water snakes that I kept as a kid.Stupid,YEP!Lucky that I was not killed or crippled by one.They can also cost you a finger,hand or arm.I have personally seen folk who claimed that was what cost them theirs.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee