Experiences with DNR

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by catfish kenny, Mar 31, 2008.

1. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I gotta ask whats your experiences with DNR officers?
    I ask this cause I was stopped yesterday when I was checking fer bait.
    1st time this year.Ofcourse I was having a bright and shining moment-licence are in the boat at home:eek:oooh:I am on bank:eek:oooh:
    I have my licence in my boat....so I know where there at:eek:oooh:any ways he is diong his job and me hoping he is gonna be cool and he was ....He could of been a class a but no he caled it in- I checked out -checked my bucket sent me on my way....Last year another stuck my nephew with a $75.00-100.00 ticket wouldnt call it in ..(left his at home)...... but nope this one just wanted to make sure we was diong right and he definatly wasnt trying to spiol a good time that is way cool if you ask me.
    :cool2:

2. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Most of my encounters in my home county havent been the best.I get checked all the time in the same spots and I forget my license once in all the times I get checked and the guy fines me.Now remember this guy has been our counties DNR officer since the great flood of Noahs time.He has met me probably 200-300 times in the past 15 yrs.

On another note in the County I hunt in the 2 DNR officers are realy good guys,sure they have searched my trunk and underhood compt a few times but they are always polite and will joke a little.Maybe its because these guys encounter more hunters than the other one therefore in regards to their own life preservation have learned to treat people with respect.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I guess I been lucky,I ain't been checked here in over 7 yrs. that was while deer hunting. Last time I got checked while fishing was at Kerr res. in OK,this guy was cool,asked if we'ed seen any duck hunters an jawed for a while,We asked if he wanted to see our license and he said,I imagine with the equipment yall have you're legal,I dont think you'd risk loosing that expensive of stuff.

4. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    If there is a Game Warden with in ten miles of me he will find me. I've had check me by land sea and air. There was this one time I was fishing and the Warden was in a tree stand and had me hold up my license so he could see them. And then there was a time I was fishing for Gills with my wife and kids, and two Wardens came up to us and as one check me and my wife the other stood there with his hand on his gun, like I was going to attack them at any time. I know there just doing there job but I was checked two times in one day by the same officer. Then there are the ones that will set and talk to you and share info what there biting on and where to fish.

5. catfishsolich

catfishsolich New Member

State:
    kentucky,metcalfe county
    ive lived in ky foor 7 years. i fish over100 times a year and ive never met a ky game warden. i guess its cause i fish on the bank and i usually walk pretty far to my spots but it suprises me a boat hasnt ever come by with a game warden in it. I fish legally so i dont mind getting checked out but i never have.

6. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    yea it seems like every year i fish every week i run into a game warden somewhere.

7. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    I fish were few officers dare to tread ...........but they are glad to wait by my car when i break out the blackberry bushes and poison ivy into the sweltering 98 degees with 98 percent humidity. But I just so happen to have both my license....with a spare bought on another day when I forgot it and my wifes as well. They rarely ask for mine anymore.

8. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    It must be that time of year because just last night we were all in the BOC chat talking about this very thing.

The other night we were talking about lightning and then someone who wasnt there actually posted a thread about it.

Great Minds Think Alike huh.

9. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    On this thread it was mentioned that one of the officers had his hand on his gun, while the other officers talked to them. There is a reason for this and it is for their own safety. Of all the law enforcement jobs in the USA, being a Wildlife Officer is the most dangerous. They have a higher (ratio) on the job death rate than all the others law enforcement jobs. It is better to be safe, than sorry.

10. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I make it a point to get on first name bases with the local Worden's, the last time I was check was 3 years ago. Now all they do is drink my coffee.

11. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I've been checked 7-8 times in the last couple of years, in Missouri, Kansas, Kentucky, and Texas. The first time I was checked, the guy was very thorough and not very friendly, but he did wish me good luck in the end. Nothing I could complain about. Every other check since has been super friendly, and a couple of them even passed along fishing reports from other folks they had talked to. And they never tried to mess with my coffee. :0a1:

12. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I used to wait until they was working on the river, and chase them down and have them check me out. I always liked to do it on my terms instead of theres. Most all of them are real wildlife enthusiasts, and care deeply about the environment. On the other hand there are a few who like nothing more than to be a pain, but if you don't leave them any room for complaint then no harm done. Later Andy

13. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I've only been checked twice my entire life. The first time the warden simply asked to see our license, wished us good luck and went on his way. Took about 15 seconds. The second time the officer took our licenses, held them up, then looked at us, then the license, back to us, etc. like he was comparing photos. Perhaps he was thinking to himself, "Is he really that tall? Does he really weigh this much? Are his eyes really blue?", etc. After a few minutes he simply walked off, not saying a word.

14. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Haven't been checked in a few years, but the last time the Warden was in the parkin lot as I got to it. He talked about hunting a bit and then said "as long as I'm here have ya got your license for me to check?" Then I had to find which pocket it was in, and I had a lot of em to check. Last couple years we couldn't find one to report road kills and claim them.

15. vfourmax

vfourmax New Member

State:
    Va
    I do not have a problem with the game wardens checking me at all. Actually I like when they are out enforcing the laws. I always stay legal to the best of my ability so even if it is a minor inconvenience if they are out then the ones that feel they are above the law may get busted and they should.

In my area the game wardens also run most of the boating checks as well, checking registrations, safety equipment and intoxication levels. Again perhaps making the waters safer for us all in certian situations.

I have always found if you are respectful and have everything in order by the laws that most times it is far from an unpleasant experience. As a last comment I think that if you forgot and left your license at home and you get a ticket for not having it if you bring your license to court showing you did have it prior to getting ticketed they will dismiss the charge. Granted a hassle to go to court but who was it that caused that situation by forgetting their license in the first place?

16. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I`ve never had any problems with them, the officers always are respectful and helpful but I`m sure they are not all like that I just haven`t run into a jerk yet.

17. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    i always get checked a few times a year here in oh, most are usually very friendly check lic and give the boat a quick once over is all, we had one last year took our fishing lic and drivers lic to the car for 15 minutes must have been doing a total background check? i dunno he wasnt pleasant at all, i think just different ones have diff attitudes, just like every where few bad apples can spoil it :wink:

18. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I usually get checked 3 or 4 times a year. I like it that they are out doing their job and keeping an eye on things. I usually give them 20 questions when they talk to me. Like where are the shad, and where have people been catching fish.

The only time one of them torqued me a bit was when I was approached at a local community lake. I was being quiet on the far side of the lake just fishin', when I was approached by the MDC agent. I showed him my permit, and he started nagging me about littering. I had a bucket, and my trash along with some that I picked up was in it. He saw my water bottle, and told me to make sure I picked it up when I left. I said OK.

I was getting annoyed because on the other side of the lake was a bunch of teenagers. They had loud music playing, and were swimming...which is supposed to be prohibited, and basically being obnoxious.

The agent never approached them, BUT when I went to leave, he stopped me at my car again just to make sure that I picked up my water bottle...which I had.

I guess if that's the worst experience that I've had with them, I'm doing pretty good. For the most part, they are pretty cool.

19. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Mac's right - one of the few law-enforcement jobs where MOST of the people they talk to are carrying high-powered firearms, depending on the season.

I haven't been checked yet, but I have pestered a lot of our local DNR people with a lot of questions via email and phone calls and they've always been very helpful.

20. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    ive only been checked twice in my life once hunting and once fishing they was nice about it i dont have no problems being checked when i was checked fishing he just said not to leave no trash and if i would pick up some of the other he would appreciate it