Expensive weekend..

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Powhatan, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Powhatan

Powhatan New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Went out of Dutch Gap yesterday. No one was on the water....loved it. I put my gill net in across from the boat ramp where I normally set it. 10 minutes later I go to pull it in and she was stuck good. Hung up on something.. I had to cut her loose. I was able to retrieve the weights and floats.

Thank goodness I had my throw net with me.. I caught enough cutters for the day.

I ended up catching a 10,20, and 30 pounder in that order. I guess if I stayed longer I would have gottend a 40, 50 and 60.. :smile2:
    When I went to take my boat out I noticed that the roller/bumper on my trailer was missing. It was there when I parked the boat.. either the vultures got it or some other creep decided he needed it more than me.:angry:

I had to lash a towel under the front of the boat and tie it down tight.

Ordered a new net from fishnetco.com and I am off to boaters world to pick up a new roller.

Anyone else catch anything over the weekend?

2. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    You would hope fellow boaters would not steal.

3. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Dutch Gap is kinda known for car break ins. So I've been told.

4. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Oh well, I suppose even when trying to get away from it all, it is impossible.

5. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    I love your logic man!

Congrats on your fish. I read two other reports elsewhere where a citation sized fish was landed over the weekend. I knew I should have gone fishing.

Terrible to hear you lost your net. I know you're out $$$, but the worst part is that net will continue to catch fish, and they will all die.

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Nothing surprises me anymore. Sounds like you caught some great fish, congrats.

7. Powhatan

Powhatan New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I was able to get the net out.. I just had to cut it up first. There may be a few very small pieces attached to the snag, but for the most part it is all in the trash now.

8. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I'm glad to hear that you spent the time to retrieve most of the net. You certainly are more responsible than many fishermen that simply don't care. They're the ones that steal stuff too.

Sadly, I don't feel safe at many of the parking areas anymore. I've seen guys sitting in their vehicles watching others come and go. I always figure if they're watching you launch, they know you're not going to be back for a while. It's too bad when you are looking forward to a relaxing time on the water, only to find that you don't feel comfortable letting your vehicle out of your sight.

I wish that you would have caught the 40-, 50-, and 60-pounders. We're all going to wish you the big'uns on the next trip out!