Expensive Hobby

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by IL Hunter, Aug 14, 2006.

1. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Now I realize fishing isn'ty a cheap passion, tackle and boats and everything add's up fast, but I think My Duck Hunting is way more expensive than fishing. Today I ordered a whole bunch of stuff and spent more on it than I even care to think about. I don't think I even have enough stuff as of yet either. :eek:oooh: :eek:oooh:

2. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    hahaha
    im guessing you got the cabelas waterfowl catalog today :)

3. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Nope Saturday...But today I ordered 4 dozen duck decoys 6 super magnum geese. 6 duck butts and 2 goose butts. I also ordered a pattern master choke for my gun. Now I'm broke.

4. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Sounds to me that your addiction is outa control and you better seek treatment:big_smile:

5. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    The only treatment I know is to kill some ducks. Early goose season is September 1 and Teal comes in the 9th. I'm ready to roll.

6. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Welcome to the wonderful world of waterfowl hunting!!

7. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    This isn't even my first year I guess I'm jsut excited because I got a 2nd blind this year 5 minutes away from me so I'll get to hunt everyday.

8. catfisher77

catfisher77 New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    i agree with everybody. i started waterfowling in '99 and there hasen't been a single year since then that i have not spent under $150 dollars but to see the happiness in my dog is well worth it:smile2:

9. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I bet I spend $150 just on shells, but I think it is my favorite hunting. It's not sit and wait you actually have to work those ducks into to you. I like that I get to fire more than one shot a day too.

10. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    hey where do you mainly hunt
    i saw in macomb they have blinds on spring lake when i went fishing there
    is that the spot 5 mins away?
    also i cant wait till sept 1
    set up deeks for geese if that doesnt work blast some dove :)

11. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Yeah I drew a blind in Spring Lake that I can hunt everyday. On the weekend I have a pit in Calhoun County that I hunt.

I'll be sure to shoot some doves soon too. Oh I love wingshooting.

12. catfisher77

catfisher77 New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    is there any pheasant hunting in IL or is that not very popular there?

13. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yea last year was my first year
    killed a few woodies but that was it
    no geese or mallards
    hope to change that this year

14. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    There is some. I think a lot of them are raised though. We do have a season, but people who are really serious about it go up north where its actually good hunting.

15. catfisher77

catfisher77 New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    cool! say i hear IL has some awesome flooded corn field shooting for waterfowl have any of you ever done this? the closest i have ever come to this is digging in to a corn field while it was raining and have my trench fill with water:sad2:

16. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I hunt at a club that is 400 acres of Flooded corn, that is my weekend spit as it is about 2 hours from here. It can get pretty crazy. It's only 800 yards off the Illinois river at the Mississippi confluence. Smack dab in the middle of the flyway.

17. catfisher77

catfisher77 New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    what types of birds are normally shot mallards mostly or all varities?

18. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Last year we got lots of Mallards and other puddle ducks...wuite a few teal early one...a few pintails...we had a lot of Gadwall too. The year before less corn was left standing and we got a bunch of river ducks. YUCK

19. catfisher77

catfisher77 New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    have you ever shot any widgeon or cinnamon teal. two years ago i went to tx panhandle where i grew up and hunted a few potholes, limited out every day i kid you not in no more that 20 min. eveything from wood duck, green wing, blue wing, widgeon, pintail, green heads,and drake spoon bill the only thing we didn't see was the cinnamon but the guy i was with went down there again last year and shot 6. once i get scanner back i will post some pics if interseted.

20. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    We'd get some of both. I personally didn't shoot any of either but the club has to record all of the kills and some of those ducks were taken. Blue and Green winged teal are much more common for us.