Expensive Fly-reel! Who would pay that?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by buddah, Feb 28, 2007.

1. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
  2. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    You have to remember that there is a sucker born every minute and Im sure a handful of dealers and collectors will be buying those up since Im sure there only making a small number of them, throw in the fact that some people have mor emoney then skill and they will still be poor casters.:tounge_out: The word Hardy doesnt help any....
    For years I could nt ever figur eout wht fly reel swere 2-400 bucks and yet no one made a spinning or baitcasting reel over 150 bucks but finally Penn, Abu and Shimano have figured out the higher costs only targets true professionals and a different market group and now while Fly reels are getting less expensive with technology, the baitcasting and spinning reels are only going up in prices.

Salmonid

3. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I'll agree with that. I believe that price only reflects quality to a point then your better judgement must take over. The most expensive reel I own is a Shimano Stradic. The wife wanted to buy me a Shimano Stella but I said what can that do that t his cant? Point taken.
    As far as flyreels are concerned, They arent "multipliers" really so why the high price? I have an old Pfluger Medalist and an orvis Battenkill that I used as long as I could remember. In fact my grandfather gave them to me so they are very dependable indeed especially if you tear them down once a year (at least) and mantainance them. JMO
    :big_smile:

4. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    the high cost comes from the aluminum barstock that is shaved /machined down to make a very presicion fit within the frame, Most quality reels have the spool and frame machined from the same 4" block of metal. Low tolerances and a smooth maching is what cost money. If you compare your Phleuger Medalist ( nice simple reel) with a top of the line Abel or Waterworks/Lamson or Ross reels, youll see what I am talking about. BTW, I have a half doen older battenkills and an even older Martin #9 fly reel that I still use but the favorite is the smoothness of my main ( Sage 3100) made by waterworks, who is ow owned by Lamson, 3 wt Large arbor, fits my hand like a well worn baseball glove!! Yes, to a certain point, spending more money equals better quality, in todays market, about 150 bucks will buy you as quality of reel as you will ever need. If your after name brands stuff, Id say $200, but 5-7 years ago those same quality reels were in the 350-450 range.
    Salmonid

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Its like a Rolex. A Timex will keep just as good of time...at least for a while...but some have to have the very best. The thing will probably never see the water.

6. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I like SAGE. I have a SAGE Z-Axis 9' 4 piece that I like and a T.L.Johnson but I actually prefer my Orvis Troutbum 9' or St.Croix Premier 8'6" for trout on Big Pine creek. (Pa.) They are higher end rods but I still wouldn't pay (actually couldn't pay) that for a reel! I brought up the rods because 600.00+ dollars was alot for me to pay for them but at least you can definately feel the supurb quality and casting abilities ,but not really from the reels. It must be a real gem, infact it should have diamonds in the reel foot! lol

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Have to have more money than sense to buy that...:lol:

8. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I wouldn't pay $9700 for 9700 of them if I had to keep them:lol: .

9. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Thats about right too John! I Might order YOU one C.O.D too! LOL Just kidding bro! Hey I joined your private fishing fourm too!

10. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    If you like the Sage Rods, then be sure to look at the Launch series, ( 175-200 bucks and the 9 ft 5 wt I have is now my favorite smallie and streamer rod, ( over took a $650 Thomas and Thomas Horizen 9 ft 5 wt) so again, with the newer technologies, the what used to be the standard top of the line rods for 45-600 bucks are now being produced in the $200 dollar area, Like the Temple Forks, sage are excelent top quality rods minus the big bucks, I really do not liek the Winston cheapie Ibus line though, stay away from those but there 600 dollar stuff is very nice.
    Just my opinion there and always remember everyone has one :eek:oooh:
    Salmonid

11. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Quote from the ad:
    "Questions about the Hardy Zane Ti Fly Reel? Call Us Toll-Free: 877-FLY-DEPT (877-359-3378) 9-5 M-F CST"

Yes, I have a question: Are you ****ing dreaming? ...W

12. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    well i flyfish now and then, and that reel says there were only 100 made, but i dont care if there were only 1 made, i wouldnt pay that much.

13. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i just ordered 2 of them i want to learn to fly fish and for that much money im sure it will catch fish lol

14. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    I paid almost 400 for my Abel large Arbor and abotu 600 for my Sage. Lot of money but thier both backed by a lifetime guarentee. My Sage if i get pissed abd break it over my knee they send me a brand new one, no questions asked. And as for shimanos, the man that i gave my son his middle name in rememberance of fishes with a stella. There is no other reel in the same league. He fishes for trophie sized goldens and rainbows using custom spinning rods made out of flyrod blanks, small crappie jigs and 2 lb test P-line. His best rainbow to date is 17 lgs and i watched him catch a 15 lb laker on the same set-up. The phenominal drag on this reel is the only way he has a chance at those fish...

I still wouldnt pay that much though, even if i had won the lottery!

Dru

15. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i have a reminton reel made from brass and painted black.came in a seal skin bag and a wool draw string sock.i placed it on a southbend lamited split bamboo rod with 2 tips.1 5 wt. and 1 7 wt.acording to the book this real was cir.from about 1860 to 1910.the rod about 1950.gave 2.00 for reel in 1976 and 11.00 dollars for the rod.i love it.dont use it but i love it.lol

16. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I wouldn't be too eager to break that sage rod over your knee. It now costs 50 dollars in shipping and handling for sage to fix it

17. psdisme

psdisme New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'll tell you what....When I started fly fishing, I got a bad case of GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). Bought s Sage and put a an Orvis reel on it. Sure it is a fine outfit but I have more fun and satisfaction out of a 6wt that I built with a $20 PacBay blank and a $20 LL Bean reel. Especially after I slipped on some rip-rap and skinned that Sage all to heck....along with my shins!:crazy: