Expanding your drift coverage

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Mac-b, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    If you are doing a wind drift or using your trolling motor to drift and would like to expand your coverage, give this a try. Buy yourself a right and left side planer board (side planer boards only) and do the following: use any kind of bait you want or the bait that the fish are biting; attach bait and cast the bait out on a Carolina Rig as far as you can cast (try to get it out forthy to fifty feet); attached the planer board (breakaway clip and rear snap) and feed out 20 to 50 feet of line;the pull of the boat will send the planer board out 15 to 40 feet out, parallel to the boat;set reel in lock position and wait for the bite;when the bite occurs let the planer board break loose (snap on rear will hold it to the line) wait until the line has no slack and then set hook (if you are using a circle hook, let the rod load up). This technique will cause hang ups, same as your other side or rear lines rigs. By using side planer boards you have increased your bait exposure from 20 or 30 feet to 50 to 80 feet. As you gain experience using this technique you can add more side planer boards and improve your coverage.

In the winter time you can use a free line technique and attach a large size split shot 10 to 12" above the hook and cast it out with live bait 40 to 60 feet and attach your planer board and then feed out suffient line to get the parallel coverage that you want. This is not a new technique, myself and a lot of striper fishermen have been using it for years. Just now, several of us on Lake Norman have started using it for cats with very good results. It takes a little pratice, so don't give up if things don't go right the first time you try it out. Mac

2. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    thats a good idea Mac, I have used them pu;;ing free lines for stripers but never thought about trying it for cats.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Sounds like a good idea, I'll agree. But in my experience, doesn't work: The boat is moving too slowly for the planer board to do it's job, and they just flounder along behind the boat.

I tried using some boards about 2 weeks ago with generally unimpressive results. Though I was using small planer boards, so maybe that was part of the problem.

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    What kind of boat speed do you suggest for the best results, Mac? I've read a couple of articles about peopled using this technique for catfish down here on Santee Cooper, but don't have any experience with it. Thanks.

5. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    Tommy, I try to maintain a speed of 1/2 MPH and at times get up to 3/4 MPH. My side planer boards are probably 8 inches long and real light. A side wind will make the board stay in close where the wind is coming from, but will push the other board out further. It is an awesome sight to see the board bounce out of the water on a big strike and them start moving like haydees to the rear. It is best to put your planer boards out first and then put out your bottom rigs. Mac

6. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Name:
    Mac
    I went down to my boat and measured the boards. They are seven inches long. I took a photo. of them for your benefit. Mac