Exhaust

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by SC Hartwell, Jan 22, 2007.

1. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Ok guys, I got a 2004 f 150 with a 5.4 liter engine. I was looking around at flowmasters. What series do you guys think I should get?

2. pokerkat

pokerkat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    for a Ford, man you need the 40 series, def. I had a friend who bought an 89' F-150 and put a 2 1/2 inch Sus. lift on it and a 40 series Flowmaster muffler and it ROARED! lol to say the least, they are perfect for Fords and Mustangs, good luck.

3. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Good! I want her to roar, should sound good with the 5.4 pumping :big_smile:!

4. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    If it is "roar" you want... and more PROVEN Horsepower:

Forget Flowmaster.

There is a US-based company where the mufflers are made in the USA by hand, louder than anything I know of (magna flow, glasspack, flowmaster, etc) and the exhaust system will actually give you a better hp rating.

The company is MC Productions and they make the Sweet-Thunder mufflers mostly for corvette enthusiasts but also have just about everyone else covered... including the ONLY set of real working sidepipes for old El Caminos. (in the 80s choo choo custom made false sidepipe covers for the El Camino but nobody made the mufflers till Mike at MC Productions created it). Look em up online. Look em up in corvette and racing websites, and you can buy em in some catalogs and online at their home site.

There are racing companies that use Sweet-Thunder pipes exclusively and win consistently.

Their mufflers have thicker walls than anyone else's out there (18 gauge instead of 22 gauge), giving them a deeper sound and they last longer. They also make x-pipes, tips and all sorts of other things but I will tell you that in my personal experience this is a much better product. Everything is available in either stainless steel or aluminized steel.

I had one of their resonating mufflers on a ford ranger with the 3.0 engine on it. I thought it would sound like a rice burner on steroids but it really really worked to make the truck sound like it had a pair! They made a better sounding engine than I actually had.

Like I said, it is my own opinion... and by all means do what you want, of course... but nobody at flowmaster or any other company will put you on the phone with the guy who makes your product to directly answer your questions and design a custom system or tell you what they have in stock that will fit your model. MC Productions does this every day. One guy from texas bought and tested his stuff against the competiton. Sweet-Thunder blew away everyone and was the ONLY one that gave a markedly noticeable boost in HP as well.

I work with the owner once in a great while when I have spare time. For the record, I am also married to his daughter... so I know the muffler business a bit but I know that business on a personal level. The man's production shop is the cleanest place Ive ever been in. He is a perfectionist who actually cares about the product over the profit. I'd buy one of his and keep the cash in the hands of a USA-based manufacturer and not a multi-national company.

5. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've got the Flowmaster American Thunder duals with Summit racing shorty headers on my 98 Ram 4x4 with the 360 magnum. Its got that deep 60's muscle car sound. Not too overwhelming, but enough to sound cool. With the windows rolled up its noticable, but very livable. Good luck.:cool2:

6. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    One thing to keep in mind is local ordinances on sound. Nothing worse than dropping a couple hundred on an exhaust system, then getting tickets for excess noise, take it from someone who has been there done that.:confused2: :angry:

7. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    i would get some purple hornies you can pick a set of em up off ebay pretty cheap and they sound nice

8. Ecfool

Ecfool New Member

State:
    California
    Aint purple hornies a couple a geeks after prom night?

9. drews0311

drews0311 New Member

State:
    iowa
    forget about it. cut everything off from the cat back. weld a y pipe and then run duel straight pipes like your from iowa...... thats how you should treat that ford they like it that way.