Exhaust & Water Leak

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Stubby, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    I just bought this boat with a 1995 40hp Mercury 4 cyl. SER# OG182198. I've got exhaust & water coming out from around the two studs on the front of the engine under the coweling. Anyone had experence with this?
    Thanks --Stubby in Kansas

Attached Files:

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Pull the cowling off while running on muffs and see if you can locate the water source. Its either coming out of the tell tell or block or where the pickup tube goes up into the block.

3. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    Willard, I figured out that the leak for the exhaust & water is the Gasket between the power head and the lower unit. I put some dope used for mounting car windshields around the studs that bolt the engine to the transom mount and that made the exhaust go out the back. ordered a gasket...No Problem--Went Fishing. Sara and I caught 13 small blues & 2 channels. We decided to pick up some trash jug lines around the lake and was doin just fine, had about a dozen and Sara says I Smell Smoke..Engine was NOT hot and Pee Hole was working fine. Electrical box on the side of the engine was on fire, engine never did quit. I Shut everything off and took my chewing like a good husband does and then looked at the problem area. Now the electrical fire was not associated with the water gasket problem at all. Something in the Voltage Reg or Rectifier had shorted across and caused the fire. NO Flames!! just a lot smoke. Engine started back up and we got it to boat ramp & loaded. I Figure those 15 fish are going to run about $100.00 each before I get to go fishing again. I guess the moral of the story is Don't pick up trash.

Stubby in Kansas

4. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    This is the effected area: if i get the picture right.

Attached Files:

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    More then likely it smoked the recetfier. I'll get you a test posted after awhile to test it. That was like my trip sat. I took the toon out with 7 pretty good size fellas and while on the way out of the launch area I struck a floating stump and bent the prop and the prop shaft and blew the prop shaft seal. All in all I 'll be out around 400.00 on this. I cleaned a total of 15 lbs of fish so meat is high on this trip.

6. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    don't worry about a test- I got a machanic that will do it all for me real reasionable except for parts. and he will try to find out what caused it to start with. ---Willard I don't think You realize how much people here on the BOC appreciate your comments and help. Thanks a Bunch!!!!!!

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    No problem Carl. I just try to be of some use to someone and pass on a few things I know. Also it gives me an excuse to bum a free meal off a few I have helped. :wink:

8. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    Sure enough it smoked the rec/reg combo (5 wires) and got several of the wires. but ,we can connect on to them for added length. Havent tested the Stator yet. The water and exhaust leak is probably the engine base mounting gasket and the seals around the studs where the engine mounts to the transom mount. Means pulling the engine off of the lower unit. Going to get the electrical fixed first. ----I ordered a CD repair manual off of an ebay site which is listed as complete shop breakdown-mechanical & electrical. $10.00 including postage.

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    It should not have bothered the stator. That recetfier should have shut the current off before it got to it.

10. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    OK Willard:You were right it didn't knock out the stator. it got the reg/rectifier combo. (5 Wires) and scorched a bunch of wires that can be spliced and repaired. Now to decribe the exhaust/water leak. The upper motor mount studs are what we're looking at in the pictures. have to remove the engine proper to replace the two lower gaskets that mount the engine to the shaft and lower unit. The gaskets are what sends the exhaust out the back of the engine. The two motor mount studs have a shock mount and seal around them that hold the motor to the yoke. Mounts and seals are shot--litterly gone...So, we will replace the Mounts-Seals-Both Gaskets. Parts and labor will be around $750.00 Mechanic said it was a first for him on the mounts but not the reg.rec. We also haven't found the mounts ($46 ea) and seals ($12 ea) yet and one of the bottom gaskets,approx $45 ea.
    Gonna be sweet when it right!!! Stubby:big_smile:

11. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Thanks for the update stubby. Yep they can get pricey but I do admire your positive attitude on this.

12. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    Last post Willard! Parts $302.00---Labor $90.00---Tip for friend $25.00--No tax for a total of $417.00 and he adjusted everything including shift. Boat House had said I was looking at $1000.00 Minimum and probably 6 weeks. Tell me it don't pay to mow a friends lawn once in a while.

13. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Nothing like having friends in low places. It pays off sometimes. Sometimes you give a little and get alot and sometimes you give a lot and get little or nothing but when it does pay off it pays good.
    Glad you got her fixed.

14. Stubby

Stubby New Member

State:
    Kansas, Ar
    The continuing saga of exhaust & water leaks
    Most of us seem to be pretty efficient at doing our own maintenance and repairs on our boats. However once in a while it makes since to go to someone that has a bit more experience than we have. We come to this board and get advice and 99% of the time it helps us accomplish what we need to do in a much cheaper way than going to a high dollar shop. I recently bought a 95 Tracker 16ft Pan Fish Model with a 40HP Mercury that was not exactly in as good a shape as I thought it was. Looked good, but was well used. That’s ok! I got it pretty well worth the money and I sure did want that 40HP 4 cylinder motor. I already had an 89 Tracker with a 35HP 2 Cylinder on it. ------Now here’s the rest of the story. TRAILER needed some work!-bearings- tongue bent-bunks rotted out-lights destroyed-fenders loose-paint gone. BOAT!-leaked like a sieve, lets just say it wouldn’t hold water (in or out). MOTOR!-Looked so good!!!-top mounts shot-top mount seals shot-gaskets (both) between the head & lower unit shot-makes for an interesting exhaust/water leak especially when momma is setting right in front of it. And, second time on the water, while we’re still trying to find the leaks, the motor sets its self on fire. It smoked the regulator/alternator along with a handful of wires. Along about now ole “Stinky Boat” with that 2 cylinder 35hp is sure looking good. In the 4 years we used it we never had a problem. I was lucky because it didn’t burn up the stator. Willard said he didn’t think it had.
    Going back to the repair & maintenance subject, I would have to thank about 8 guys who gave me good advice during this ordeal of fixing the trailer, the boat & the motor. I finally took the rig to my friend Boyd here in Ark City and he pulled the power unit and did the motor work for me. And as soon as the Ice and snow get off of the boat I’ll get pictures posted. The total cost of the repairs was (trailer $64.00) (Boat &31.00 Foam & JB weld) (Motor –Parts $302.00-Labor $90.00-Tip $25.00=$417.00) Grand total $3112.00. and of course skin off both hands where the grinder got me. Oh, I forgot the skin off my other end where Sara got me
    Thanks to all the Guys who gave me advice.

15. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Well Stubby even as much insite on boats and motors as I have I get the perverably sting every once in awhile in a trade I fail to take the time to look over. Forest Gump said it best _ _ _ t happens to us all.
    We just wipe away the tears of furestation and continue on.

Some days you are the bug and some days you are the winshield. :big_smile:
    Now take the boat when possible and enjoy it and don't even look back at the cost. Cost of that boat and motor is not measured in money but in the amount of enjoyment you will get out of it.
    Then if it becomes a money pit go back to square one and get another one.