Exhaust housing leak?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by tbull, Oct 3, 2008.

1. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I know there was a previous poster, who mentioned the black oily substance running down the leg of his motor, I have the same problem, and while it may be unburnt fuel/oil mix, after looking closer, I think my leak is coming from the gasket between the exhaust housing and the power head, I guess my question is how difficult is that to replace? I would imagine you have to drop the entire midsection and lower unit? Thanks guys, anyone ever replaced this before?

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    If your 4 cyl. is like my 3 cyl., you pull the powerhead off the mid to install a new gasket. On mine it's not that big of a deal to pull the powerhead off (half hour or so), but depending on how yours is set up you may have to remove some pieces to get to the mounting bolts.

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Any kind of sealant you can put around that gasket atleast for a temporary fix?

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    There ain't nothing that I am aware of that will seal that gasket. Replacement is the only thing. BTW if you have an exhaust leak down there then you may have answered you other problem question. If that hood is filling up with exhaust fumes then that motor can't run on its own. It has to have clean air to run. Try it with the hood off.

5. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Bubbakat I was running it last weekend all day with the hood of checking spark and a ton of other things, made no difference.