Excuse my Ramblin!!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by splitshot, Jun 5, 2007.

1. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    I am not a negative person by nature and i don't often get the Blaughs but tonight I've got things rolling around in my head i need to get rid of. I hope you don't mind me doing it here. First off I've been feeling really down because Beth and i cant make the Henderson gathering. Its something that we have been looking forward to for quite a while and although Ive known for three weeks we weren't going to make it, now its starting to get to me. I don't know if i can make you understand this or not but i will try.
    Living up here in the Northeast i feel very isolated from you folks. I am not a native New Yorker and the people up here are just not the same kind of folks that live in the South. I'm not saying there aren't good people up here, there are. They just aren't as open and friendly and a lot of them are very standoffish. I guess i just miss the hospitality and laidback personality of southern folks. It also bothers me that i have no one to fish with. My sons work schedule has changed and he wont be able to go out much this summer if at all. There are several N.Y. members that live within fifteen miles of me but i get the feeling there not interested in going fishing with a old man. I used to love going fishing by myself, but as I've gotten older i miss the company of having someone with me. When i entered the fish off i figured i would have some one with me to take pictures which i don't, so now i feel like I'm letting the team down. My wife is working a lot of hrs. so she hasn't been able to go. Beth told me yesterday she is having second thoughts about moving south because of our two Grand Kids.
    I know all this sounds petty when you consider all the crap that goes on in this world, but sometimes you need a friend to listen. You guys just happen to be the best friends i have. Thanks for lending a ear, who knows what tomorrow brings.

2. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Praying for you brother. If I were closer I would love to fish with you and take your pictures for the fish off! I wish you nothing but the best, tight lines and pure happiness.

I recently just moved home from an 8 month stint living in Chicago, the people there are much more standoffish then in NY (IMO having been both places for awhile) I got real depressed and missed the small town hospitality my family and my friends. I lived for 8 months through this website and a crappy wireless connection. IF it weren't for this place, I don't think I would have survived. If you ever need an ear, are ever in Iowa, or just want to vent, hit me up I would love to chat with you brother. Don't ever feel bad about needing to get some stuff off of your chest!

Best wishes brother

3. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Cheer up Steve!:smile2:Hell, I'd go fishin' with you anytime. I wish we lived closer. I end up going by myself a lot also but do prefer company! I can't vouch for the people in N.Y. but we got some good folk here in Pa.!:cool2:

4. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Mr Splitshot: Steve have you stopped to think it is probably your values that are the problem here. I don't know you, only from this forum. Haven't seen where you've placed your footprints in your journey. We all leave some pretty close to the quicksand sometime. For the most part we get back to higher ground. You seem a likable guy. Like Christopher, I spent 16 years in Chicago. Couldn't wait to get out of Iowa and then found I couldn't relate to those folk, and I'm a Yankee. Never got home much and couldn't relate to my family and their doings-Sixteen years a blank in my relations with them. We all are our own person, but I know my parents made the mold and my lifestyle and family values growing up became the plastic that got poured into it. I wouldn't change it for the world, and when I wasn't where I had grown up I deliberately kept it with me. You are not going to change those people. Probably nice people for the most part, but you aren't going to change them or their personalities. They are never going to like you, they don't understand you and that scares them. They can't handle someone who is genuine, gives 'em a friendly nod for no reason, talks to them in a line in a grocery store, helps them out when there is no other reason than that's just who you are. You scare them, but they secretly wish they could be like you. Get over your "homesickness" by remembering that clay you originally walked on. I would cross lines with you tomorrow if possible 'cause I really want to. Maybe this forum can be our bank and the keyboard our poles. At least we can't smell the stinkbait or get bitten by mosquito's. The fish probably won't taste so good. But your not a good cook anyhow, so it won't make any difference. Take care-John

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Dang the luck ole buddy, but sadly things change and we are not able to do a darn thing about it. wish we were close enough to go fishing togather. I know how you feel about hearing the wife talking bout backing out on moving, cause mine wants to move back to OK . after mem. wknd and seeing her family ,she's getting homesick . she even told me she was moving back with or without me. and i said well its been a great marriage but it dont have to end this way. that sorta made her stop an think !! I hope things will look up for you an Beth shortly.

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Steve!!!!
    I have three words for you!!!

"MOVE DOWN HERE!!!"

7. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    splitshot 1st off all i love reading your post on the forums and if i where closer id take ya fishing wait the way gas prices are id let you take me fishing lol Hold your head il be praying for ya my friend remember Jesus Loves no matter who you are and and he is always with you. You seem to be a great Person. And am Proud to call you a friend.

8. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    why dont u look into moving over to indianatucky? lol that way u are sure to be surrounded by plenty of good and willing fishing buddies. I have a ffreind out in new york now and he tells me that if u ask someone the time they look at u like an idiot, and most seem stubborn ( arent we all sometimes) but im sure if u look good and hard u can find a fishin buddy, matter of fact if u look real hard i am sure she will say yes hint hint......

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I gotta agree with JW on this. Move right in between us and you'll be surrounded by...Well you'll have us within a cpl hours...LOL!!!
    Holler at me sometime Steve,I'll try to help cheer you up by telling you some stories! :big_smile::roll_eyes::lol:

10. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I feel for you. I really do. Don't let them get you down. I lived the first half of my life (so far) in Rhode Island and the 2nd in South Carolina. While the people are different, like you said, there are good and bad folks in both areas. One good thing about northerners, you know where you stand with them. If they don't like you, you'll know it right up front. Not so down south here. I feel, sometimes, like what they call southern politeness is just another name for a false front.

I see that you are in Lake Luzern. My wife's family has a cabin on a small lake outside Stony Creek. We are planning to be up that way as part of our vacation in mid July. I'd love to get together and visit for a bit - maybe catch a fish or two, if you're interested.

11. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    i don't know how far you are from watertown, ny, but my brother and my nephew lives just off the black river, i can make a phone call and i'm sure they would love to take you fishing, he has a nice boat he takes on the st. larawance he goes to henderson bay alot for the weekend on his boat, both are avid anglers, just a thought

12. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    dammittttt!!! i luv fishin with ol men. it gives me a chance to shut up listen and... well probably not learn anything. i dunno how you ended up in ny but you did say that you have gkids there. i dont reckon i would be too apt to leave em either. maybe you should just plan a few fishin vacations down south. im sure there are enuff southern brothers and sisters with boats and time that all you would have to do is show up. it aint much of a compromise but it could be worth lookin into. id take you out for a weekend, and if you planned it right airfare aint that bad. you dont even have to bring nothin'. i bet im not the only one too. just a thought.

j.d.

13. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    First of all may I say that I love you as a Brother! I am not one bit ashambed of the fact that reading your post has tears rolling down my cheeks. You bring back memories to me dear Brother. You see,I am a native of Missouri but when I married my Steve,we lived in Missouri for a year and then he insisted that we move to Southern California.We did and I was miserable. He had been born and raised in Missouri but at the age of 16 he was uprooted by his parents and taken out there and lived out there for 20 years. He got use to the fast pace and the big money you could make and thats what he wanted for us.Like I said I was miserable. The only thing that sorta saved me was getting involved in Church. I am a Christian Woman and firmly believe that marriage is until death so I did all I could do to fight my depression. My husband finally seen that under no circumstances would I stop going to Church so he started getting involved in church going. One night he was moved to be baptized and become a Christian and that helped me even more. But Heaven help me if my family came for a visit. Man was I happy to see them come,and man did I go down when they left. I had both my girls out there and they as babies kept me busy but I sure got homesick still. I know what ya mean by people being different. I was used to people bein friendly. I seen things out there that just blew me away.People were so shall we say "Free and Open" about certain private matters and no one was neighborly at all. God Blessed me in that I was able to finally move home. My husband was blessed with a railroad job that payed good for 8 years till he got hurt. I wish we could spend time together Steve and fish.There are times I want to go and Steve just doesn't feel up to it. That's why I wish so badly that I had a fishing buddy.Wish so badly that someone in Missouri was close enough to e-mail me or give a hollor and say hey Pat lets go wet a line. You are not an old man so don't say that. Pm me anytime and I'll give ya my e-mail Steve and please remember that I do care. You hang in there and reach out when ya need us,we'll come running cause we're famly!!-------Sister Pat:sad2:

14. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    There is a big difference in southern politeness and southern hospitality!!!

Southern Politeness : This entales being nice to people no matter how much you dislike them.

Southern Hospitality : This is something that is earned (not to be expected) and is given to those that southerners like.

Please don't get the two confused, LOL!!!

15. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Thanks for the kind words everyone, i appreciate you folks listening to my whining. I felt a little foolish after i made the post, i dont usually let things get to me. I went fishing yesterday and got caught in a bad thunderstorm, which kinda fit in with the way i was feeling. Spent most of the day sittin in my truck listening to the rain and watching the lightning show. Not a hit all day but the wind and rain helped blow the cobwebs out of my head. :big_smile: Some day ill tell y'all how i ended up in yankee land!!!