Exciting new .17 cal rifle by rossi

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by porkypig, Oct 1, 2006.

1. porkypig

porkypig New Member

State:
    louisiana
    2 Days ago while at academy sports and outdoors I had to do a double take when I saw a sign about a .17 cal rifle since we all know theres no such thing rite? WRONG!!! I asked the store clerk to let me check one out and I ended up walking away with my new rossi soon to discover that I now held a gun being 38.5 inches overall with a barrel length of 23" @ 6.25 lbs
    the round itself while being nothing short of what id have to call being a very tiny and cute round is not what id call a very nice round to say the least!
    the round is a hollowpoint brass jacket with a 2 mile range and a round that is 600 ft per second faster than a 22 round.
    Today I shot it for the first time and was blown away as I watched round after round go through a 2x4 like a hot knife going through butter. I shot a old refridgerator and again my jaw dropped as I observer that at 30 yards the round had gone through and through with the exit leaving a very nice 4" hole.
    At 100 yards I shot into a pond and the delay between shot and impace was instant literally.
    The design of this round is beyond question the most exciting and kill efective round I personally have ever seen !
    This round will take out a 250lb hog of a lagre buck at 150 yards easily since the design of the round penetrates quite easily due to its pencil sized tip yet with the hollow point design internal damage is maximum.
    This rifle at the same time will be great for small game kills as well.
    Now do yourself a favor and check one out before the word gets out and there all gone only to return at im sure a much higher price than the $265.00 that I just paid for mine.

2. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    17 cal has been around for a long time.
    But there's more then one. There's the 17 HMR that is what I think your talking about or the other one is a 17 II
    Then there's one that had a casing like a 223( its a big casing) with a 17 cal bullet.
    Don't think I would shoot anything like a deer with my HMR. Bullet is way to small for a clean shot. Unless your shooting it in the head.
    Also anything will cause the little bullet to break up. Even a blade of grass will cause it to blow.
    Had my 17HMR for 2+ years
    Pete

3. catfishingRon

catfishingRon New Member

State:
    Earlville, IL
    I also love the 17 hmr. I saw it for the first time about 2 years ago and now my dad, myself and my 11yr old son has one. I also have a 17hmr pistol. :cool2: They are supposed to be great varmint guns. Good luck with yours.

4. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    there is also the .17mach1 if im not mistaken.

5. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    use to shoot a freinds 17 cal the casing was a necked down 243 this bullet was extremely fast the hollow points caused extreme damage to what ever it hit , it was a great varmit gun . not much good in brush because like shilored says a blade of grass stops the bullet . have shot many a ground hog at 250 yards dead to the rites , puts new meaning to one shot one kill you could easily take the head off a squeril at what ever distance your good enuogh to site it in at , dont think it would stop to many deer in their tracks but im sure it would get the job done

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I remember when they first came out the demand was so high the ammunition manufacturers couldnt keep up. There for awhile the only way to get a box of bullets was with the sale of a rifle.

Definately a fun and accurate round to shoot.

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn

That would be a nice one for groundhogs.
    I picked up 2 more boxes for my HMR last week. I love to shoot that thing.
    Pete

8. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    THEY HAVE BEEN OUT FOR A WHILE NOW NOTHING NEW ABOUT IT.THIS GUN WAS MADE FOR VARMIT HUNTING NOT DEER AND HOG .MOST STATES HAVE LAWS ON THE CAL. OF RIFLE TO USE YOU MIGHT WANT TO LOOK THAT UP BEFORE YOU GO DEER HUNTING WITH IT