excess oil on outboard.

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Fishking, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Fishking

Fishking Member

State:
    KC, MO
    Name:
    Andrew
    Bp, at the beginning of the year I had the oil injection pump bypassed. I now manually mix the oil and gas on my 99' 50hp Johnson motor. Ever since then I have noticed a oil slick creeping down the side of the motor. The oil looks like its already been burnt. Any idea on what the problem could be? I have been mixing it at a perfect 50-1 everytime. Am I adding to much oil? Will it cause a lot more problems if I scale back to 40-1? I have always been told Johnson motors should be at 50-1. Any feedback would be great. Thanks Andrew

I have attached a picture of the motor for reference.

Attached Files:

• OIL.JPG
      OIL.JPG
      File size:
      32.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Andrew, i've disconnected several oil injection systems on Johnson and Evinrude engines and have never seen what your describing.

Don't change your oil mixture. Keep it at 50:1

Have you looked under the hood to see what might be leeking, and where the oil might be coming from?

3. Fishking

Fishking Member

State:
    KC, MO
    Name:
    Andrew
    Bp, I pulled the cover off and see no signs of oil anywhere. I really couldn't see to far down inside. The picture is really all I have that could explain where it could be coming from. I will keep looking. Thanks Andrew

4. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    Fishking:
    I have the exact same engine and it does have a little oil on the side that looks burnt also. I looked under the cover and couldn't see where it was coming from either. I still use the oil injection pump so I don't think that is the cause. THe funny thing I noticed from your picture though is I put the exact same whaletail on my engine about a month ago...lol