Excercised my 2nd amendment for the first time!

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by StuBone278, May 14, 2008.

1. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Hey yall, turned 18 recently, so I went out and bought a rifle today. I have had a .22 for a while, but I had been wanting something with a little more bang to mess around with. Got a Mosin Nagant M44 Carbine, Soviet made in 1944. Great looking little gun, got it for $100. I was looking at the 91/30 real close, it was cheaper, but the metal parts had some rusting (trigger guard, part of receiver) The M44 also had a bayonet.:tounge_out:

Hope to shoot it soon, anyone else have a Mosin Nagant? How do you like it?

2. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    Good for you. At your age you can build quite a collection in the years to come!

3. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    ain't that the truth! Congrats on your purchase Stu, let us know how it shoots. Indigo - I'm trying to figure out at what point my collection becomes a 'stockpile'...hahah

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    When the Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms feds get after you, you have a stockpile, otherwise it is a collection. Of course, when the feds get after you, it won't take long until they own all your guns. LOL

5. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Lawrence, you must know somethin' about Stu that I don't know. Why would the feds get after him :wink:? Heck, weren't you in the service at his age :smile2:? Maybe that protected ya. Sounds neat to me Stu. I'm not an expert on guns, but I like collectibles/anything with history.

6. ArmyCatfish

ArmyCatfish New Member

State:
    Georgia
    stu i had one a while back traded it tho. they are a fun gun to shoot and if u do a lil huntin it will work for most game. let us know how it shoots man

7. FordGuy2001

FordGuy2001 New Member

State:
    Texarkana,Texas
    I got the M38 version. Its shorter and with out the blade. I love the hell outa mine! Just remember, if you use corrosive ammo, be sure to clean it fast. I'd imagine it has some pitting in it now, most Mosins do, so you don't want to add to it. Spray some windex down the barrel and swab it out after shooting corrosive ammo.

8. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    man what a way to start out thats an awesome first rifle now in acouple of years you can get a handgun

9. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Seems like a nice weapon for $100. Talking about handguns. In Indiana you can get a conceal carry permit at 18. But by federal law you can't buy ammo for a handgun until 21.

.22 ammo can fit a handgun and a .357 can be used in some rifles that are now legal for deer here now. Wally-Mart wouldn't sell my son when he was 19 an .22 ammo. Go figure. I'm old enough to remember when they sold dynamite to farmers at the hardware store.

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I bought a Stevens .12 gauge shotgun from the Oklahoma Tire and Supply Store when I was 14. The only thing they did was call my parents to see if it was all right. Took either a .22 rifle or that shotgun to school with me every day until I graduated. Hunted in the mornings before class and evenings after class. The ONLY thing the principal or Superintendent of Schools ever had to say to me was "take that hat off indoors". Guess us kids were different in those days. That was 1958 thru 1961.

11. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I hear you Lawrence. I remember some of us bringing our .22 or shotguns to Jr. high school too. Too young to drive and keep in our car. Our phys ed teacher just wanted a hunting report the next day since he raised bird dogs. Now it's illegal to even draw a picture of a knife let alone carry a Barlow or Case. We didn't know it then but those really were "the good old days".

12. AlaCatter

AlaCatter New Member

State:
    alabama
    Awesome first gun Stu. If you get the chance you should watch "Enemy at the Gate" with Ed Harris. It will give you a little insight into what those guns went through and were capable of in WWII. I sell guns down here in Bama and it sounds like you got a good deal. Look for surplus ammo at gun shows, you should be able to buy a case fairly cheap. That gun will easily put down anything but the largest North American game. Most importantly, be safe and responsible, you will soon learn that our 2nd Amendment Rights are in peril this day and age. Remember what you do with your gun reflects upon all us gun owners, Have fun and be safe.....

13. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Oh yeah, I've seen Enemy at the Gates. Amazing movie! Makes anyone want to own a Mosin Nagant. I've always practiced gun safety and I won't tolerate anyone being retarted around me EVER. If you don't follow the same rules that I do when shooting, you won't ever shoot with me again. No exceptions, I don't put up with that crap. I've told a few people I would never shoot with them again because thier gun manners were rediculously stupid, and that's no bull.

14. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Happy late birthday to you, glad to hear that you went out and bought your first gun, first gun that I ever purchased was a Browny 30-6 hunting rifle, good luck with the gun and be careful.

15. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hey happry birthday and congartulations! the mosins are good little bolt guns. i have a few buddies of mine that have a fram and they shoot deer and hogs with the m44. it has pretty good knockdown power from what i have seen.

16. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    So ya get someone else to buy the ammo, see if thats in the books. Just a thought. Remember those laws arent written by smart folk.

17. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yes it is in the books. They are called straw buyers. It's illegal too! We have a screwball legislator Bill Crawford (D) IN trying to get micro stamped ammo required. Ammo with a serial number and/or a special imprint from the firing pin. Another liberal democrat trying to save the world with new laws. From what I've read it doesn't work. Plus all it would show is who the ammo was sold to originally. Nothing after it's stolen and used in a crime.

DIGEST OF INTRODUCED BILL​

Encoded ammunition. Requires ammunition manufacturers to encode all ammunition: (1) provided for retail sale in Indiana; and (2) used in handguns and assault weapons; by July 1, 2009. Prohibits a person from selling ammunition at retail after June 30, 2009, unless the ammunition has been encoded by a manufacturer. Requires the superintendent of the state police department to establish and maintain an encoded ammunition data base before July 1, 2009. Requires ammunition manufacturers and persons who sell ammunition at retail to provide certain information concerning encoded ammunition sales and persons who purchase encoded ammunition to the superintendent for inclusion in the data base. Imposes a fee of $0.05 per round on the sale of encoded ammunition that is sold at retail. Requires the fees to be deposited in the encoded ammunition data base fund to operate the data base. Requires a person who owns ammunition for a handgun or assault weapon that is not encoded ammunition to dispose of the ammunition before July 1, 2011. Makes an appropriation.

It won't go anywhere but shows were these guys are going with gun control.

18. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Haha, well I can buy ammo, I don't even own a handgun so it doesn't matter. The thing I find hilarious is when you go to Academy or Walmart and are getting .22 shells, they ask, "okay, are these bullets for a handgun or a rifle?" If I say handgun, I can't buy them. If I say rifle, there's no problems. :tounge_out:

19. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Congratulations Stu!
    Sounds like an interesting gun.
    Take care and be safe.

My first gun was a 12th birthday present from my parents. It was a new Mossberg 22 bolt action repeater from Sears Roebuck.

Now if you want to help protect your gun rights... join the NRA. :big_smile:

20. Roscoe Dog

Roscoe Dog New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Congrats on the rifle. I have a M44, then bought a 91/30 and the next one is going to be a M38. They are great shooters and very big bang. Shoots a big fireball also. Shoot the M44 with the bayonet extended. If not it tends to shoot to the left. More info in the surplusrifleforum.com about Mosins.