Excellent afternoon fishing

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by irishpride42, Jun 5, 2007.

1. irishpride42

irishpride42 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    So I tried my hand at making bait night before last and to say the least it didnt work very well. the bait I made was just chicken liver with garlic and salt then I smoked it, problem was I let it cook to long and it would not stay on the hook, fished loved it just wouldnt stay on the hook. I tried it against some normal stink bait and we caught a slew of channels. I bet we caught well between 40 and 50 fish (stocked farm pond) but I only ended up keeping six because they needed some taken out. All the ones I kept were between 2-4.5 lbs. perfect eaters! I have pictures and will put them up later

2. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Sounds great I have expiremented a lot with chicken liver and wind up overcooking it also. They say you are better leaving out in the sun for a few hours on a hot and humid day.

3. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If youre having problems with the liver staying on just wrap it several times with dental floss or thin string. Thatll hold it on for you pretty well! Good luck and congrats on a nice mess of cats!

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for sharing your fishing trip. Keep experimenting, you will soon get the answer that works. :lol::smile2:

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you're making bait, you want to 'cure' the livers, not cook them. If you simply must use an oven, I'd guess that the temp should be no more than 140 degrees, same as for making beef, venison, or fish jerky. Now, if you're planning on eating the livers, you definitely want to cook them, or the salmonella might get you.

6. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Thanks for sharing ............. Keep your poles wet .

7. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Sound like u had a nice time, Chicken Liver is my favor bait for cats.

8. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    congrats zach on the fishin...sounds like you had fun.....thanks for sharing your story.

9. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    Yeah I tried all kinds of experimenting with liver myself because it is such a good bait, but like everyone else started curing them. Even tried that panyhose last week in a pond. I gues I just like that liver really fresh, but the cured will have to do.

10. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    Sounds like you got on them like a Spider monkey WTG!!!

11. Shallowdraft

Shallowdraft New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Those of you who cure your bait...how do ya go about it?