Evolution of Math in the USA...

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by savage308, Apr 18, 2007.

1. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    [FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif][FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif][FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif]The Evolution of Math in the United States[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]​
    [FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif][FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif]

[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif]
    [FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif]Last week I purchased a burger and fries at McDonalds for $3.58. The counter girl took my $4.00 and I pulled 8 cents from my pocket and gave it to her. She stood there, holding the nickel and 3 pennies. While looking at the screen on her register, I sensed her discomfort and tried to tell her to just give me two quarters, but she hailed the manager for help. While he tried to explain the transaction to her, she stood there and cried. Why do I tell you this?[/FONT]​

[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif]Because of the evolution in teaching math since the 1960s:[/FONT]​

[FONT=times new roman, new york, times, serif]Teaching Math In 1960[/FONT]​
    A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price. What is his profit?

Teaching Math In 1970
    A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is 4/5 of the price, or $80. What is his profit?

Teaching Math In 1980
    A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80. Did he make a profit?

Teaching Math In 1990
    A logger sells a truckload of lumber for $100. His cost of production is $80 and his profit is $20. Your assignment: Underline the number 20.

Teaching Math In 2000
    A logger cuts down a beautiful forest because he is selfish and inconsiderate and cares nothing for the habitat of animals or the preservation of our woodlands. He does this so he can make a profit of $20. What do you think of this way of making a living? Topic for class participation after answering the question: How did the birds and squirrels feel as the logger cut down their homes? (There are no wrong answers.)

Teaching Math In 2007
    Un maderero vende un camión de madera de construcción para $100. Su coste de producción es 4/5 del precio. ¿Cuál es su beneficio?
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Thanks for the laugh this morning brother.

3. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    That's right on the money, no pun intended. Good Post.

4. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    dang it....I posted this also Shelby. Oh well, It was good and I am glad that you sent it to me. Thanks for the laughs and its true.

5. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    SOUNDS 100% TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!

6. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    Very sad but true!

7. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Shelby;
    Your post is absolutely RIGHT! It's a very, VERY, S-A-D reflection of a growing problem here is the CONUS!
    I get so angry:angry: when I see this very situation day after day no matter where I go in our great country because there is no real reason for it! We put man on the moon with slide rules! Unfortunately, it seems to have been going downhill from there as your accurate post shows so very well!
    While some may get a laugh out of your post, those of us that have been involved in our communities and have been around more years than most, know what your saying is all too true!
    In addition, there is the same problem with spelling and writing in proper form! Just because we use icons, smilies, ect, online, it does NOT make it proper to use them in real life, especially when communicating with formal written letters.
    Computers make wonderful and efficient machines but I have no desire to serve one or be slaved to one!
    Unfortunately it seems that in today's world, our children cannot do even the basic mathematical problems, such as making change for a dollar, without a calculator, cannot read a book unless it is on a computer screen, cannot talk to anyone unless they are plugged into their cell phones, and cannot stand being in a power outage after their batteries are exhausted!
    I don't have all the answers! I know that as with any new technology there is no going back to the "Good Ole Days" and going back is not the answer.
    It seems to me what we need is a little more common sense tempered with the wisdom that the machines of our world serve US and NOT the other way around!
    I seem to remember that such common sense and wisdom used to start in our homes, schools, and yes, even our churches, synagogues, and other religious temples for people of those persuasions.
    One has to wonder, if we will ever get it back and what will happen to our World in the days, months, and years ahead? ...
    An excellent post Brother Shelby and I thank you for your insight.:smile2:
    Sincerely,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

8. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    It seems as if our society is pushing more and more into foreign languages. Especially spanish. I should never dial a phone number and have to push 1 for English. Although I am not against learning foreign languages for the purpose of international communication and commerce, however, I do have a problem when I can not live in the USA and speak English and have people understand me.

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    True indeed ,altho we might not want to believe it ,the spanish speaking idjet that no comprehendousually do more comprehendo than we think ,just mention lamigra an watch em scatter!

10. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    Look on the bright side; at least you don't have to press 2 for English:wink: . Personally, it doesn't bother me. All (most) of our ancestors immigrated to this country at some point, and brought with them the culture of their native land. Those bits and pieces have combined to make America what it is today, good or bad.

The company I work for issues all of their paperwork, news letters, safety meetings in English and Spanish (you don't work in construction in NC without having to deal with Hispanics). I read the English copy and give the Spanish copy to my kids to draw on. No biggie.

The bottom line is that Hispanics are here to stay. They work hard and have money to spend. Until that changes, businesses are going to cater to and compete for the Hispanic dollar. The American "melting pot" simply has a bit more latino flavor to it.

To me, the concerning issue is legal vs illegal, and the policies that govern.

Jon

11. pphillips

pphillips New Member

State:
    OK

12. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    So....How was the burger? :big_smile:

13. pphillips

pphillips New Member

State:
    OK
    for the most part, the people @ mcd's know what to do w/change. this place i was @ was a snooty, upscale gourmet food store--& i was buying sushi (no, not to fish w/). sushi in Okla is not that good.