Evinrude water return

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by steve_b124, Jul 7, 2008.

1. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I bought a 1984 (I think - model #E50BELCNR) 50 horse Evinrude. It starts and runs great with the water hose hooked up, but I don't see any return from the witness hole on the motor. I was afraid to run it for more than a couple of minutes with no water flow. I have been told that many of these motors are equipped with thermostats and won't show flow until the engine is at temperature. Is this the case with this motor? Should I start it and monitor the temp, until I see if I get flow? The only way I have to check temp is by hand, and then how hot is hot?

I did notice a mud dobber nest in the return hose and ran a screw driver in to clean. I will take the hose off tonight and blow it out, in case the nest went deeper than I thought.

Thanks guys,
    Steve

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    That particular model does have a thermostat, and it may well be that you didn't run it long enough for the thermostat to open. If your not getting any water circulation the motor will overheat. The thing about muffs is they are good for a few minutes of working on the motor, but they are not good for extended periods or testing the motor under a load. One way to tell if it is getting to hot is to catch some of the water in your cupped hand and drip it onto the top of the head. If it sizzles like bacon frying, your getting close to the dangerous point for the motor - shut it off. If you haven't done so all ready, it may be worth some piece of mind just to change the water pump/impeller. Cheaper than a new motor, by far.

3. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    steve,
    I wouldn recomend you running the ingin without the water coming from the hose.
    I have a 40 hp and it did the same thing ,but the p hole that came through the body of the mtr was plugged with just a spit of dobbers glue.I got rid of that and it was fineBut I dont know how a 50hp works also mine is a 84 model evenrude

4. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Thanks, Aweshucks, I'll try that tonight if I have time between work and Bible School (my wife volunteered me to work all week, bless her coniving heart).

5. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I've got water! Let her run for about 2 - 3 minutes and got water return. Thanks guys!

Steve