Evinrude VRO

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Scaley Cat, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Scaley Cat

Scaley Cat Member

State:
    Missouri
    How will I know if I'm having Vro problems? How do I check for leaks?

2. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Thats a hard one there Ralph. First thing is evinrude vro are an variable rate at idle the mixture is running around 100:1 and WOT 50:1. I would take the boat out and check were your oil level is and run it. For 12 gallon of gas you should use around 1 qt of oil.

3. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    Check your spark plugs to ensure that all of them look the same. If your VRO is not working properly then it will be dumping more gas than oil into your last (ie #4 or #6) cylinder. It will foul out that plug faster than the rest and it will trash your powerhead if not repaired.
    You can take your VRO apart and check all the seal and diaphrams (sp?) for cracks.
    Do a search on iBoats for VRO pump issues and there is a really good tread that explains how it works (with pics) and what to look for.
    I thought I was having a VRO pump issue so I replaced the pump ($315) but still have the same problem. Check your compression and ensure your carbs are good (clean and adjusted correctly).

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    There's a test proceedure, but it requires a vacume/pressure pump.

You can also disconnect your oil line and get a clear plastic line that's the same diameter. Mark the line every 1/4" and attach it to where the oil line was disconnected. This line needs to be about 1' long.

Fill the line with 2 cycle oil, and hold the open end up, (yeah that needed to be said), then run the engine and you can watch as the oil is consumed be the vro. If no oil is moved out of the clear line in a few seconds, then the vro ain't working.:confused2:

5. Scaley Cat

Scaley Cat Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks guys for all your suggestions. Heck, I'm gonna try them all if i have to. It seems to be oiling and the plugs look fine, carbs are spotless but my 70 hp evinude idles like crap and Im tired of it. Ive adjusted the carbs like the book says and nothing changes. I dont know if im suck air there or somewhere else. Thanks again.