Evinrude Problem.

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by MRR, Aug 20, 2007.

1. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Nothing really serious just need some ideas. We took the boat out this weekend and it didn't want to run right. Much as I hated to Itold the wife I'm gonna have to do something. Any all 3 of the adjustment screws was close shut.Opened them back up and it run great .My problem is I had to reajust them about 3 times that day.And twice yesterday .What can be done to stop them from going shut all the time?
    Also it didn't want to run till I took the cover off the motor then runs great .So whats the deal on that ,not getting enough air or what. All help appericated. Thanks in advance.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    What are you referring to by "adjustment screws"? To me, your talking about the needle valve adjustment screws. Sometimes when people rebuild a carb, they seem to bypass replacing the parts the needle valve screw fits into. That allows the screws to turn very easily due to worn parts. Sounds as though your having some issues with the motor as it is, so I would think the problem is in the carbs. You may want to rebuild them, at least do so over the winter. You'll be happier with the motor's performance.

3. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Yes I'm talking about the 3 adjustment screws on the Carbs.on the front of the motor. Is there anything I can put on them to slow them down on the backing off till I can either get them fixed or put new screws in the carbs. thanks for the input.

4. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Try some lock tight but use the medium! That way you can get them out. Becareful not to let any drip into the carb.
    Bill

5. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Not sure on the carb screws John, but had the same problem with my 90 evinrude with the motor cover. Ran fine with it off and about 1/2 with it on. Finally found that the cover was pinching a spark plug wire and causing it to short. Try looking over the plug wires and make sure they dont have a crack in one of them.

6. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Do the screws have springs on them? If so maybe try stretching the spring just a bit to add more tension. If not is it possible to add some? Vern

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I'll check mine to see if they have a packing nut or a spring. If it has a brass nut around it then just snug them up a little. And go through the proper procedure to set them and then you shouldn't have to move them again. If it has the little springs and someone has left them out I may have some of those out here some where.

If it runs better with the cowling off and there ain't no plug arching against the coweling then I would susspect you have an exhaust casket blown down on the leg where it connects together and its letting exhaust back up under the cowling.

8. Bigjonrigger

Bigjonrigger New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Bubbkat is right. E&J is known for blown exhaust or base gasket. Fumes under the cowl choke the motor. On idle mixture screws that are worn try some thread tape, couple of wraps usually does the trick.