Evinrude not pumping water

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by metalfisher, Jun 3, 2006.

1. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Was attempting to tune up the 25 and noticed it was not peeing.

I had the hose hooked up runing full. It has always peed before. So I pulled the lower unit and checked the waterpump impeller. Noting wrong...

I shut it off because the head was too hot to touch and there was steam coming out. Always before, I could touch the heads with out being burned.

Any ideas?

Robert

2. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Probably the thermostat located in the water jacket at the power head.

Good luck

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I've had that problem on a few engines. If the muffs aren't on just right, they don't pee. All were 25 Johnson/Evinrudes.

4. Kittyhunter

Kittyhunter New Member

State:
    Princeton, NC
    I have a 15 Evinrude that won't pee on the hose, but does fine in the water. I put a new pump in it this year and had no improvement. It has been like that for years. It just doesn't pump much unless under throttle and load.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    When hooked up with the hose and ear muffs, you can't run much more than idle or you'll overheat - the impeller isn't moving as much water from the hose as it does when it's in the lake. It doesn't really make sense, since the water out of the hose is under pressure, but that's the way it is.

Definitely put it in the water before you conclude something's really wrong -- and if it doesn't pee when you start it up then, stop until you figure the problem.

As far as the thermostat being the problem, I think most motors are plumbed such that some will come out the tell-tale no matter the operating temperature of the boat.

6. timbo

timbo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hi Robert i have had this problem before i have a 2.5,,,9.5,,9.9,,,15,,85,,120,,hp,,and most of the time durt dobbers or some thing clog up p tube ,,, i run a clothes hanger in it abought 1 to 2 inches ,pull out and use a air blower ,,and blow in tube you can do this wile it is runing ,,because you all ready know you have a new water pump,,THANKS TIMBO:big_smile:

7. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Thanks guys..

This would not have bothered me except for the fact that I have always had steady stream of water before.

I blew through the hose and there was no resistance. Who knows?? I will buy a new impeller monday and see.

Robert

8. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Robert,
    I have a 35 Evinrude. If the muffs are not exactly right it won't pump water either. You also got some sound advise about the dirt dobber thing. I've had them stop my Pee hole up more than once. I have yet to figure out how in the world they can clog one up like they do. Here is one way to check. Standing behind you motor looking to the front, the water discharge is on the left side of the motor close to the head. Trace the tubing to make sure you're on the right thing and once confirmed, remove the tubing from the outlet spout. Put the muffs back on the water intake and make sure you have the hose positioned exactly over the intake. Turn on the water, start the engine and see if you get water out of the discharge fitting. If you don't, adjust the muffs and check again. If you still don't get water, you either need to replace the impeller or the thermostat.