Evinrude 50 HP not firing both cylinders

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by bigflathunter, Aug 26, 2007.

1. bigflathunter

bigflathunter New Member

State:
    Lawrence, KS
    Is it possible to burn up the power pack on an outboard by overloading the engine (72 Evinrude 50 HP, model #50273C electric start and electric shift). I ran this engine with no problems on a 14' trihull, with a 13 1/4 x 17 prop that needed to be replaced (all three blades had a small cut off the very tip). I could do 25-26 MPH by the GPS with two people in the boat, engine turning around 4800-5200 RPM (guessing, didn't have a tach).

The guy I sold my engine to put it on a heavier 16' boat, with more people, and used the same prop. I advised him that since it was a larger and heavier boat that he should probably put a 15 pitch on, but he didn't. He took it to the lake the next day and couldn't get the boat to plane out Keep in mind it is a manual pin style trim and he probably didn't change the trim either, from what it was on my boat. He ran it at WOT like this for an hour, then had the top cylinder stop firing. He tore into it and found a bad power pack. Could this have been caused by overloading the engine with too much weight and not using the correct prop? Thanks.

Aaron

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If he was running that engine laboring like that atWOT and couldn't get it on plane then I would say he heated the top so bad that it burned every thing up in the fireing system. I don't think a 72 had a power pack. It should have condensers and points.

3. bigflathunter

bigflathunter New Member

State:
    Lawrence, KS
    Here is a link to the engine ignition diagram for my motor:

http://www.ishopmarine.com/ishop/js...&isForSupStore=false&cCatFilter=&eCatSupFldr=

It does show a power pack for it, but regardless, I think you are probably right. He is asking me to pay for half of the part. I think before I do anything, I want him to write down in an email everything he told me on the phone about what happened at the lake, so I have documentation of his story, then have him take it to a mechanic for verification. If what I think happened is correct, it sounds like he burned up a fine running engine on his first trip out.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If thats the diag then it a 73. That was when they first changed them over to the pack. I wouldn't pay him a thing if he ran it that way and it broke while he was running it in those condition. I bet when he ohms the stator out he will find out it is fried to. How does he know that the pack went out.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I have almost the identical engine, except mine is a 1971 - and the power pack did go out on it this past summer. Got is fixed for about $50.00 for the part and my friend FuzzFace and I changed it out. Think I replaced almost everything that can be replaced - but that baby runs now. I don't know if the overload caused your problem or not... I know it didn't cause mine. It just got tired and died. ANYTHING can and will wear out. It could just as easy be that yours was at the end of its life span anyhow.

6. bigflathunter

bigflathunter New Member

State:
    Lawrence, KS
    I asked the guy to recap to me exactly what happened, in writing. Here is his response:

"I was frustrated last night and exaggerated a little. What we did from the time we unloaded it was that we left the dock and ran it wide open for about 10 to 15 minutes then we shut it down. We got our poles ready to troll (we let it sit for about 5 minutes getting ready). Then we trolled for about 30 minutes running the boat at an idle. Then Brian and I jumped off to see if just my sister could get the boat on top of the water. She took it for a lap wide open and it got on top of the water and ran find then I took it for a lap and so did Brain. After that my sister lost here shoe in the mud and we all looked for it for about 20 minutes. Once we found it we all got back in the boat to look for a good spot. We tried to go to the other side of the lake and about 5 minutes in the motor died. we thought we were out of fuel so we switched tanks we got it to start but only to limp back to shore I thought that the gas tank was plugged so I transferred the fuel back to the first can that was working for us earlier but we could just barely get it to run so we limped back over to the dock taking it easy on the motor it took about an hour. We loaded up and went home. I thought that I had bad fuel so I disposed of the fuel and got new fuel. We went to Lake Shawnee out side Topeka to try it out but had the same problems. I took it back to the dock pulled the cover off while it was running and pulled the top plug wire off and there was no change in the motor. This is how I ran the motor Saturday I do not think I did anything out side the limits of what the motor could handle. I have traced the problem back to the power pack using a multi meter. That is all that I did to the motor if you need any more info call me or write back. Thank you"

Based on this, would you change your opinion on what caused the problem? Thanks.

Aaron

7. Bigjonrigger

Bigjonrigger New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Multi meter by itself is not sufficient to test for a failed pack. Need to check for spark and compression.

8. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Not sure if it has um but it could be as simple as a coil. Could also be a fouled plug, or bad spark plug wire. Your power pack may be fine.

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The senario which occurred when my motor's powerpack went out was about the same. I ran the boat wide open coming back from fishing. Put it on the trailer, went home. Next time I went out, it ran fine until I got to where we were going to fish. Started it up to go home and it was sick. There was no indication that anything was wrong until we tried to go. It ran like a sick puppy for about 5 minutes, then quit. I paddled the darn thing the rest of the way. Got home I started checking this and that. Finally drug it to my friends who works on outboards. They fiddled with it for about twenty minutes, brought out another power pack, put it on, and the darn thing ran. If the narrative you provided was a factual explanation as to what they did to your motor, I don't see how you can prove or even state with any degree of confidence that they did it to the motor. Old things do just wear out. Unfortunately.

10. bigflathunter

bigflathunter New Member

State:
    Lawrence, KS
    Thanks for your help. He did tell me that he checked spark at the plugs, and found that when he reversed some wire and switched things around the top would fire and the bottom wouldn't. I'm not sure exactly what he did, and I'm not paying for anything unless it is diagnosed by a mechanic. I don't think I should fund a guessing game as to what the problem is. If he feels confident he knows what the problem is, he can pay for the part and install it himself or have it installed. If that fixed the problem, I will decide at that time whether to help pay for it. If it doesn't, it's his guessing game to finish.

I also feel that when I put "as is" on a bill of sale, the buyer is taking on an inherent risk by purchasing a 35 year old machine. JMO.

11. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    if you put "as is" on the bill and he excepted it, then you don't owe a thing. like a car, sell it as is and buyer takes and lives with it. sounds like you are a honest person and didn't sell him a bad motor. tell him to live with it.
    now, if you are best of friends and you have guilty concience, or afraid that will ruin friendship, that is another thought. myself, would not ruin a friendship as long as i thought i wasn't loaded with a lemon.
    old motor, things wear out. his luck happened with him. should of expected things to happen with older motor. just faster than thought would.
    gary

12. neal

neal New Member

State:
    ky.
    I agree with Gary. From what I have read here,my opinion is,you do not owe him anything! Good Luck!