Evinrude 4hp

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by fireblade101, Jul 8, 2006.

1. fireblade101

fireblade101 New Member

State:
    wales england
    Hi there I have recently bought a small boat with a 4hp evinrude I was down the beach with it for the first time today and found it ran ok until the waves picked up and it kept cutting out. Is this anything to do with the exhaust vent smothered in the water as I am unsure of the principal of it. I did notice that when i tilted the engine out of the water (making sure to keep the water intake in the water ) the motor picked up power again, I also had allot of trouble restarting the motor after it stalled.
    Would very much appreciate some advice Also does anyone know if there is a fuel filter in this motor Many thanks to all.

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Hi Nick, did you clean out the fuel tank before using it to eliminarte the possibility of trash and water getting to your carb.

If someone hasn't put in an inline filter, there's only a screen in your fuel pump.

Post the model number of your 4 hp Evinrude.

3. fireblade101

fireblade101 New Member

State:
    wales england
    Thanks for the advice there bobpaul . I have pulled of the covers today and carb and found no filters in the carb. Fuel flows directly into float chamber. I have put an inline fuel filter on fuel hose. I have also noticed that where the choke flap opening is there seems to be no kind of air filter fitted to the motor. This means it is open to all weathers I also noticed a spare screw hole around this opening (possibly there was one fitted) The model number for this motor is E4BRCNR serial no. B001661 many thanks again NICK

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Outboards don't have air filters. They do have covers/silencers over most of the carbs, but many small engines don't.

You have a 1982 engine. I'll look into it tomorrow at the shop.

5. fireblade101

fireblade101 New Member

State:
    wales england
    Thanks for that figured out what the prob was after putting inline filter on noticed no fuel going through so released pressure from fuel tank and noticed there is another cap on top to losen and fuel ran through (engine ran fine) Thanks for your advice on this will hopefully post pics of fish from the British coast for you to look at Many thanks Bobpaul Nick

6. fireblade101

fireblade101 New Member

State:
    wales england
    PS One worrying thought is the cap falling into the water with the vibration of the engine once undone can you explain more on the way this pressure system works? much thanks Nick

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Fuel leaving a closed container has to be vented or a vacume is built up and restricts the flow. Try just loosening the vent cap.