Evinrude 4hp fell in the sea

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by fireblade101, Jul 29, 2006.

1. fireblade101

fireblade101 New Member

State:
    wales england
    Hi all I recently done the ultimate and dropped my evinrude 4hp in the sea. After salvaging it I drained the tank cleaned the carb and intalled new plugs. The engine ran but noticed a lack of power and also a yellow spark from the plug. I presume there is water in the electrics but cannot remove the flywheel It has 3 bolt holes around the shaft which i presume is a special tool to remove. Can anyone tell me whether or not i can access the electrics without removing it also what exactly is under the flywheel. many thanks Nick ps model number is E4BRCNR serial B001661

2. If its anything like the old ones, you can buy a cheap( or rent one from Auto Zone or some other store like this. but they are fairly cheap tools and Auto Zone is Free( just put down deposit which you get back when finished> Hope this helps.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That is a 1982 model and as the other post suggest go to auto zone and rent you a fly harmonic balancer puller. You will most likely have to go to a hard ware store and obtain the bolts to hold it to the fly wheel. The size of the bolts are real important.

Take the big nut off and bolt the tool on and tighten up until you can't no more and take a hammer and from one side to another rap that fly wheel real sharp. Be sure to work both sides evenly. I would squirt some PB Blaster on top of the shaft before I started. Be sure to stand back far enough away to keep from getting hit with the fly wheel. I have seen them turn a loose and jump a foot in the air.
    It is important to be sure to torque the fly wheel back down right .

I will find you the torque spec some time today.

4. fireblade101

fireblade101 New Member

State:
    wales england
    Thanks for the advice guys I live in England i preume autozone is American. The torque is stamped on the flywheel so have no probs with that Is there any site I can visit to see a diagram of whats underneath the flywheel many thanks again for your advice

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
  6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Hey Nick, why'd you go and do that?

When it happens here, the first thing that's done as soon as we can, we drop the motor back into a container of fresh water and leave it there until we have time to get to it. You need to do the same thing, just to neutralize the salt. Then start over with drying it out and oiling the cylinders back up. The carb and all needs to be drenched in oil to stop the salt corrosion.

Getting off the flywheel is a matter of a 3 bolt puller. tighten it up on the fly wheel as tight as you can, then smack the puller bolt with a hammer and off it'll come. Sometimes you don't need to smack the bolt.

Under the flywheel is the stator components. charge coil, timer base, and you may even have an ignition module. All this needs rinsed and dryed out. Don't forget lubrication of all moving parts.

Now go out and find yourself a barrel and hurry.

7. fireblade101

fireblade101 New Member

State:
    wales england
    Just one more question am I getting the right 2 stroke mix for this engine I am using 50:1 Many thanks again Nick

8. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Sure, 50:1 is the mix to use.

9. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Thanks Bobpaul!!! You can use 50:1 in any 2 cycle motor and I've been trying to tell that for a while now.The new 50:1 oil is made to cut down on oil smoke with the same lube qualitys as the old 16:1 but no one want's to take my word for it.

10. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Just wanted to say Welcome Nick.