Evinrude 33 cooling problem

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by basebklyn7, May 3, 2006.

1. basebklyn7

basebklyn7 New Member

State:
    dubuque, iowa
    ok.. heres my problem... im aware that my lower unit leaks water as i change the gear lube every few trips out and is a slight (not milky white or anything) off color of normal new gear lube.. anyways.. heres what im asking... i pulled the boat out of the water yesterday and tilted the motor up, immediately after doing this.. a white milky liquid (with bubbles) was coming out of the water intake holes. this is the only place it was coming from? what do you guys think is my problem ( i already know about the leaky LU ) if that isnt the cause though, what can it be? a head gasket?? tell me it isnt so... . btw.. its a 1970 evinrude 33 hp. model number 33052M. thanks in advance... compression in both cylinders is very close to 115.

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    The water intake goes to the water pump. Under the water pump is a driveshaft seal to the lower unit. I suspect it could be some of that lower unit oil

3. basebklyn7

basebklyn7 New Member

State:
    dubuque, iowa
    bob, the water pump was replaced last summer (when boat was bought)... i have been having water get in my gear oil ever since.. is the driveshaft seal soemthing that comes with the waterpump or is this a separate item i will need to order?
    id love to get it so it doesnt leak so i can quit worrying about it and not have to change my oil every couple trips.... (even though i know i shouldnt take it at all with a leaky LU)
    ill attempt to correct this problem myself as im not too hip to pay the $72/hour labor for a shop to do it.
    thanks again bob, i really appreciate your help

sean

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I believe in your engine, the drive shaft seals don't come with a new water pump.

Post the model number.

5. basebklyn7

basebklyn7 New Member

State:
    dubuque, iowa
    33052M is the model number...
    other than the leaky LU the motor runs excellent... gotta crank it a couple times after it sits for awhile but fires up and runs great after that...
    in a couple years id like to trade her in for something a little more modern... but until then i have to work with this one...
    i hope im not looking at too much $ for a seal... money is tight now and i want to go fishing!
    again.. i can't stress how much i appreciate you helping me!

sean

6. dcmust

dcmust New Member

State:
    missouri
    When you replaced your water pump did you replace the housing to or just the impeller? I have a newer motor and when I replaced the water pump they told me that if you took the cover plate off the pump you should rub your fingernail across it and if you can catch your nail on anything like a scracth or groove replace it. I bought a pump kit that came with all the parts.Good luck

7. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Seals are cheap, it's getting the work done that costs too much. A manual would be a big help on your part in replacing it.

Hey Bubba, can you direct this fella to a breakdown of that area of his engine?

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
  9. basebklyn7

basebklyn7 New Member

State:
    dubuque, iowa
    sweet deal!! THANKS GUYS...

when i replaced the water pump i did the whole kit it came with. not just the impellar... i assume its something i did then thats causing it to leak as its leaked ever since i bought it... (it probably didnt leak before i bought it as the guy i got it from said it had been a few years since he replaced the gear oil)..

so hopefull when i find time (and a seal) i can tear her apart (with the help of that picture and my manual) and fix it up..

hopefully it will be soon, ill update as i get around to it.. again.. thanks..

sean