Evinrude 25 idle

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Matt Smith, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Matt Smith

Matt Smith New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I put a Tiny Tach on my 1980 Evinrude 25 today. It idles around 1100 rpm. That seems a bit too high. Does anyone know the proper idle range for this motor when warmed up?

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Matt is that in the water or on the muffs that you get that reading. If its on the muffs in the yard then thats normal. When you put the lower unit in the water and it gets under pressure in will be lower.

3. Matt Smith

Matt Smith New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That reading was taken while in neutral and soakin' in a big ol' bucket of water. :big_smile:

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Take her to the water matt and I think you will see it drop to about 7 or 8 maybe a little lower.

5. Matt Smith

Matt Smith New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    What are the manufacturer's specifications? That's all I really need to know.

6. Matt Smith

Matt Smith New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    On another note, I ran the boat at full throttle today. With nothing but me, the battery, and the motor, it reached 5200 rpms twisting a 9.25x11 aluminum prop. I'm gonna drop down to a 9x10 and raise the motor about an inch and a half so the cav. plate is just even with the bottom of the hull.

I think then I'll be where I need to be.

7. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    You sound like you have it figured out. I have an Evinrude 25 horse comm. 3-cyclinder that idles in mid 700's to low 800's. They are some good motors.

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    In the water it should idle around 7 to 8 I will have to dig in my books to come up with the mfg specs. When you lower the pitch on that prop it should come up about 200 r's on the top end. I will ck the specs when I get home this evening.

9. Matt Smith

Matt Smith New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks bubba! I turned it down to 710-730 in neutral this morning while on the lake. It sounds "right". I just wanted to make sure there were no reasons why it should be turning faster.

10. Matt Smith

Matt Smith New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Update: I learned that the rpm's for this motor should be between 4500 and 5500. Looks like I'm in good shape with the prop I have now.

11. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Thanks Matt for the follow up. That is what a man always tries to acheive on an outboard:big_smile: