Evinrude 140 too big

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Todd Strong, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    I need your guys input, I have an 94 roughneck welded jon with an 84 evinrude 140. The boat handles fine with this set up, I wan't to upgrade my engine to an newer year around 97 and up 150hp. The marina's tell me the 150 will be to big for the boat. Do you think i can get the same performance from a 115 vs my older 140, keep in mind my 140 has new power head rebuild and carbs etc.

2. hoso95

hoso95 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I really dont know but I dont think the 115 will hurt you to bad

3. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    What's the maximum rated horsepower for that boat? I'll bet it's less than the 140 hp you've got on it now...

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    The 115 has got the same block and almost the same weight as the 140

On a boat that size I would put a 90 on it and dial it in and save on fuel and still out run a 140

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I'm with Mr T what is the boat rated for?
    And what size is the boat also?
    Then what do you expect out of the new motor?
    Pete

6. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I have a 75hp on my 17' boat and the only thing that passes me are bass boats with 225hp+ on them.

7. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Sorry forgot boat length its an 20ft and the max is 115hp, my question is will there be any gain to changing, the 140 to the 115.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I can kind of understand bass fishing professionals using boats that will run 50+mph, because five more minutes of fishing time just might result in thousands of dollars more to take home. Also, they are required to start from a specific spot, regardless of where they want to fish. So, they may have to run quite a few miles to get to their fishing spot. Sport fishermen, bass or catfish, don't have those problems. So what if it takes an extra five minutes to get there? And so what if their boat isn't the fastest boat on the water? So long as the motor is large enough to do the job without causing undue delay, it's large enough. A 90hp motor on your boat is pretty close to the max rating, and it will be lighter and get better gas mileage. We used to pull one skier with a 19' Kenner with a 60hp Mercury on it.