Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Everything you will ever need to know about life

818 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Patmansc 
#1 ·
Some of you have probably seen this, but for those of you who have not, this is very thought-provoking. The author is Bob Fulghum:

All I really need to know about how to live and what to do and how to be,
I learned in kindergarten.
Wisdom was not at the top of the graduate school mountain,
but there in the sandpile at Sunday School.
These are the things that I learned:
Share everything
Play fair
Don't hit people
Put things back where you found them
Clean up your mess
Don't take things that aren't yours
Say you're sorry when you hurt somebody
Wash your hands before you eat
Flush.
Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you
Live a balanced life; learn some and think some
and draw and paint and sing and dance
and play and work every day some.
Take a nap every afternoon
When you go out into the world, watch out for traffic, hold hands, and stick together
Be aware of wonder
Remember the little seed in the Styrofoam cup ;
The roots go down and the plant goes up and nobody really knows how or why,
but we are all like that.
Goldfish and hamsters and white mice and even the little seed in the Styrofoam cup
They all die
So do we
And then remember the Dick and Jane books and the first word you learned the biggest word of all
LOOK
Everything you need to know is in there somewhere
The Golden Rule and love and basic sanitation
Ecology and politics and equality and sane living
Take any one of those items and extrapolate it into sophisticated adult terms and apply it to your family life or work or your government or your world and it holds true and clear and firm

Think what a better world it would be if we all - the whole world - had cookies and milk about three o'clock every afternoon and then lay down with our blankies for a nap.
Or if all the governments had as a basic policy to always put things back where they found them and to clean up their own mess
And it is still true, no matter how old you are... when you go out into the world, it is best to hold hands and stick together

See less See more
#4 ·
Dave, along the same lines: For a long time I've wondered what would happen if every business in this country allowed their employees to have 15 minutes of recess every - not just breaks, but where you could actually play for a while. When I was the director of an adult inpatient behavioral health treatment program that was located across the street from a park, I would have the staff take the clients out every day and make them swing. I would sometimes go with them, and when they asked my why they had to swing I would tell them that I had discovered that it's really hard for somebody to be pi$$ed off while they were swinging, and even the ones with severe trauma issues and/or mental health problems would (eventually) enjoy themselves.

#5 ·
Patmansc said:
Dave, along the same lines: For a long time I've wondered what would happen if every business in this country allowed their employees to have 15 minutes of recess every - not just breaks, but where you could actually play for a while. When I was the director of an adult inpatient behavioral health treatment program that was located across the street from a park, I would have the staff take the clients out every day and make them swing. I would sometimes go with them, and when they asked my why they had to swing I would tell them that I had discovered that it's really hard for somebody to be pi$$ed off while they were swinging, and even the ones with severe trauma issues and/or mental health problems would (eventually) enjoy themselves.
That is cool how a simple thing like "swinging" has such a positive impact on our behavior. I would have never thought of such a unique thing like that.

#7 ·
Ah, how things have changed since I was a beardless youth. I didn't know anyone who went to kindergarten. I guess there was such a thing available in private schools for the rich, but I didn't know anybody who went to one of those, either.
Sandboxes (Where I went to grammer school):
1. Great place to hide a knife from the teachers watching the schoolyard. Shove it down deep all the way back in one of the corners, and it won't be found accidentally, either.
2. Sand is a dangerous weapon; great for throwing in someone's eyes when you're fighting, but you have to be careful that it doesn't get thrown in your eyes.
3. Don't take toys to the sandbox unless you can whip any person there. Otherwise be prepared to have your toys taken away from you. And if there are two or more guys there who are buddies, you better have some of your buddies there, too. Best choice, only go to the sandbox when members of your gang are in control there.

#8 ·
Patmansc said:

Just remember,Pat,some of us B.O.C. brothers are a little too large now to be going out at recess climbing on a jungle gym

#9 ·
Well then, John, maybe we could design an adult-enhanced jungle gym, complete with swings with that have larger seats & seat-belts, a titanium-reinforce teeter-totter, and a cushioned floor to decrease the likelyhood of someone falling and breaking a hip :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.