Every thing is freezing, do you ice fish

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by kaleigh, Dec 13, 2005.

1. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    I hate this time of year.I can't fish and driving a truck sucks in this weather :cursing:

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    kaleigh - I agree driving in the winter can suck but what can you do. I'm heading out today to check on the ice thickness at a local lake. I'm getting my ice fishing gear out and ready to hit the hardwater.

3. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    I never went out on the ice,what do you catch? :D

4. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    Not doing too bad fishing for Muskies,since it got cold.Biggest 1 so far 42" from the Lehigh River. Its never too cold as long as you dress for the weather ;)

5. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    caught 2 small kitty cats in the Lehigh Canal today.Nothing worth talking about. It was great just to get outside in the fresh air.:) It did not matter if I caught anything at all!!!!!

6. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    :thumbsup: I got to hand it to y'all up north. Not to rub it in but, we've only had two days of freezing weather here. I try to dress warm but still get chilled, man if I was up there, I'd be a wuss!

7. jigerjim

jigerjim Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    We hardly get a day above freezing up here at this time of the year. So we make the best of it by ice fishing. For some reason we havent had much winter YET there's still a long way to go.

8. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    I'm just woundering, how do ya know where to drill the hole to fish from ? I bet, i'd have holes everywhere and then I would just catch myself by fallin' in one of them:crying: .........

Thanks for postin' the pic, I always enjoy lookin' at fishin' pics.

9. jigerjim

jigerjim Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    We do drill a lot of hole's in a day, the law say's the hole cant any bigger tham 10". Most guy only go about 8" I myself only drill a 5" I'm only lookin for panfish. Even with a 10" hole it would be hard to fall through except in the spring when it start's to melt the hole's start to spread out then you have to watch where your walkin. As to where it's just pot luck, you keep moveing to you find them

10. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    Anyways,I can still get out to fish.No ice in the rivers,and for the first time I wore gloves last weekend!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

11. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Hey T-Bone,
    Drillen holes is kinda like playing the lottery. If you have a GPS and you scout in the summer for structure you can do pretty good.

Kalie
    Watch out and Be careful on river Ice, It can be pretty unpredicable.
    Ice fishin is pretty good up in MN. We have been getten crappie, perch and small walleye.

12. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Man you guys are tough; I don't want to rub it in either, It is about 75 degrees and the sun sure feels good.
    I never tried ice fishing but it totaly kicks a***. I really enjoy watching ice fishing programs. I recentaly tried crappie fillets really good stuff.

Jaime

13. jigerjim

jigerjim Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    Guy's I look forward to ice fishing every year, that's about the only time I take fish home to eat. In the sommer I might take a Walleye, but that dont happen to ofen. I release almost everthing I catch. I have a saying, if I take home today I have fewer to catch tomorrow, and I'll be here tomorrow.
    I was on the ice today for about 3 hour's, the wind started to blow to hard so I called it quit's. The temp. only went up to 20*. Plus the fishing wasent to good, I was hopeing for some Golden Shinner's for Catfish bait (NONE)

14. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    :) I want to rub it in! its 76 degrees and beautiful out! I will have to sit my cooler in the shade so the ice dont melt!:)

15. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Ice fishing can be a real thrill. We used to live in the mountains and fished the ice all the time. If the wind is calm and the sun is bright you will be amazed hot warm you get. Bring lots of sunscreen and wear good eyeprotection. My grandad sunburned his eyes. He was miserable for a week. Kept fish soon freeze on the ice and the bites or often furious. I can remember catching my limit in under 20 minutes and all around me caught nothing. I am amazed that holes 3' away can be that different. Some even use chain saws to cut larger holes and then use gigs for muskies. A shed would be nice when the wind blows.

16. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Thanks for the replys. Ice fishing intrigues me. I'm not so sure I'd be doing it. Heck I get cold to the bone @ 50 degrees. I wear layers and still get cold. Y'all must not feel the cold until it's around 30 degrees and then that's not too bad. LOL
    Tell us some more about fish fishing.
    1. How do you know the lake is icy enough to go out on ?
    2. What month is the best to ice fish ?
    3. What lures or bait do ya use ?
    4. Are those sheds / shacks used for fishing or just beer drinking and getting away from the ol'lady for awhile ? LOL
    5. What's the most common kind of fish ya catch ? How big ?
    Thanks for the input, we barely get any ice at all so your fishing is kinda cool (no pun intended) to me.

17. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania

Two days below freezing!!!! Wow must be nice, but on the other hand, us pennsylvanans have had it pretty nice this winter. Just watched the local forcast, calling for a "northeasterner" we could see up to 6 inches of snow in the next to days. The great lakes snow making machine is going to start back up. Winter is back thanks to the groundhog!!!LOL.

18. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    "ice fishing": When you put ice in your "Tennessee Tea" to sip on while you're waiting on a bite.

19. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania

"Tennessee Tea" around here we call that "Anti-Freeze"!!!!!!!!! The more you "sip" the "less you feel!"

20. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Hey T-Bone
    some answeres to your question.
    1. Ice thickness. You have to keep an eye on the weather. Up in MN if its below 32 F for any period of time 2 weeks or more your good to go.
    you need at least 4 inches if ice for a person to walk on.
    you need at least 6-8 if your gonna have ATV or snowmobiles.
    you need at least 12 if your gonna be drivin your truck on the ice.
    DNR can give you an idea on ice thickness. but it never fails we had a group not to far from my house drive there trucks on the lake and parked them to close to each other. When they came back they were in the water.
    2.as far as month. They are all good. Season ends at the end of FEB here in MN but as soon as its safe to get out on the ice its Fishing time.
    3.Lures and bait. your pretty limited. Most people bobber fish with Minnows. Many also jig with Minnows (Its pretty much minnows)
    4. Fish caught up here in MN. Northern Pike, Walley, Crappie, Perch, sometimes catfish. (Never been able to get any cats Icefishing.) again Most your targeting are prededtors so live minnows. the bigger the bait the bigger the fish to a certain point.
    5.Fish shacks allow for extend periods of time on the lake. Many have heaters and bunks so people can spend a weekend out there. SomePeople have mini cabins with generators and propane they go all out.
    YOu dont need them. They have portables that will shelter you from the wind. and People will fish in all temps. down to -20 F.