Evergreen shrubs/bushes

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by Rat, May 13, 2006.

1. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Before we bought our house there used to be evergreen bushes all along the front of the house. They were removed at some point and I have been having problems getting anything to grow in it's place for about 11 years now. Isn't there something you are supposed to do to the ground when you remove evergreens? Add lime or something to reduce the acid or something along those lines? Any help would be appreciated. Getting tired of putting in assorted plants and watching them look up weakly, give a slight cough and turn brown. I can grow pretty much anything anywhere else in my yard, but not in this spot. Any ideas?
    Rat

2. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Hey Rat, try planting some evergreens back there, maybe they will grow...lol...LMAO

3. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    you may not be getting enough light there. most plants have to have a certain amount of sunlight. if it stays shaded alot you need to get some plants that do well in the shade. just ask somebody wherever you get your plants. have you ever tried hostas? they will grow just about anywhere.

4. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    I don't think that the shrubs would have added acid to the soil, but gardeners know that they like acid soil and if they where planted by a previous owner then they may have added mer-acid. The first thing I would try is to sweeten the soil with a mixture of about 4 pounds of lime a couple of bails of cypress mulch and a couple of bags of manurer till all this in well. If you want to plant something expensive in this area I would plant a season or 2 of annual grass or a legume and till it in, in the spring.

5. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Thanks for the help guys. After thinking about it, I started putting in landscape timbers today and I'm gonna fill it in with river rock. I'm thinking the rock should survive.
    Rat

6. vinny

vinny New Member

State:
    ill.
    I had a rock garden but they all died

7. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    I removed our evergreen bushes several years ago and never had a problem growing anything in it's place. You should get your soil tested and see what you need to do.

8. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Evergreens are VERY acidic (SP) If they were there for years the soil has asorbed all the acid. Best bet is try fertalizer often or replant some type of pine.
    Bill

9. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Keep us posted on how that rock garden does...post pics as they start growin'!!:lol: