Ever used little bluegill for big bass??

Discussion in 'Bass Fishing' started by BigCat4, Aug 19, 2006.

1. BigCat4

BigCat4 New Member

State:
    Quincy,Ill
    the bass im holding in my avatar i caught on a little bluegill about 3 in long....i used a big red and white old skool bobber with a splitshot and a circle hook and the bobber about 4-5ft from my hook

2. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    I found out that not only do cats like cheesy hotdogs, but so do large mouth bass! Using small treble hooks, and little to no weight, I landed 2 lmb's at a place called Walnut Creek just a few miles down the road. I was very surprised when I pulled them both out of the water!

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I use big live Bream for BIG Bass in my pond. They seem to like them more then anything else, in the warmer months I will set the bobber to be only about 1 or 2ft deep, and the Bream will swim around right on or around the surface. Man, it's a blast when the monster Bass nail that bream.

4. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I dont do much bass fishing, but on more than one occassion when catching bluegills, I have seen big bass take a strike at the bluegill when I was reeling it in.

5. BigCat4

BigCat4 New Member

State:
    Quincy,Ill
    thats how i got the idea of using them me and my dad were catching BIG bluegill on a bed and i hook a BIG bass and it jumped out of the water and it took the hook and all well the next week end i put the bluegill on the hook and threw it out and i caught the bass i know bcuz it still had the hook in its top lip..it was about 2x the size of the one in my avatar i wish i had a camera when i caught it

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have but not on purpose. I have tried to catch bass on bream but it never worked unless I was catfishing. Imagine that.

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    My first wife's grandmother used to take her Abu 5000 out to the pond next to her house, catch her a 4-5 inch gill, bait up her hook, and proceed to catch 5-6 lb bass. This was at 78. Nobody else ever caught anything over 1 lb out of that pond. Think the good Lord put those big bass in that pond especially for her.

8. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    on the contrary i use 2 to 3 inch bluegills and manage 5 pounders out of my pond. we have some pictures but i cant get em up!

9. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have had great luck with little bluegill. But one time I was out fishing off the bank and an old lady was using some pretty big bluegills off the bank. I asked her why and she said that if she uses bigger bait, she'll catch bigger fish, and if she uses bigger bait she doesn't have to worry about the smaller fish nipping at it....then a few minutes later she pulled out a 6 pounder...

10. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    I caught 2 bass this weekend over 5lbs. One of them was on live gills. The funny thing was, I had just hung it over the edge of the boat and about 5 seconds later, WAMM!!

11. Mr. Abu Garcia

Mr. Abu Garcia New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Im going to have to try that technique. Did you troll along or just sit still?

12. cattinalldayeveryday

cattinalldayeveryday New Member

State:
    chicago
    we fish from a dock and i peared my head over just in time to see a little bluegill get swooped up by a 5 pound bass.I guess they are natraul food to them good luck

13. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    ive did extremely well using live bluegills for bass and ive caught some nice ones doing it. I throw the little bluegill out with no wait and no bobber.

14. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    Almost everytime I use live bream on my home lake for bait the large mouth and spotted bass bite more then the flatheads. So I use them as cut bait to solve the problem.