Ever used leopard slug for catfish bait?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by claycntyjoe, May 1, 2006.

1. claycntyjoe

claycntyjoe New Member

State:
    Northern Kentucky
    Has anyone ever used slugs for catfish bait or heard of anyone using them?

For years I have heard people say they were a great bait for catfish. But I have never seen any in a bait store. I have never seen anything that is supposed to taste like them. So I was just wondering.

I myself subscribe to the give them what they chase everyday school of thought, such as shad, bluegills, minnows, and carp.

But I would be very interested to know if this were true or just a myth.

2. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thats a good question id like to hear the answer to that one.Ive thought of it before but havent tried it,if i find some i may try it unless someone tells use it dosent work.I figure the blugills would get to it before the cats did but i could be wrong(first time for everything.):wink:

3. malaki

malaki New Member

State:
    Redmon Illinois
    slugs are covered in slime that tastes bad to keep predetors from eating them. not sure if fish would like it. try it and let us know.

4. trfoster

trfoster New Member

State:
    north carolina
    never heard of it, the cats may like thiers salted on the treble though.:lol:

5. Bigmagic

Bigmagic New Member

State:
    Edwards Missouri
    When I was a small child tying a piece of string to a stick we used to catch Bullheads on slugs and snails. We would smash a snail shell and remove him and use him or find some slugs under a board. It was great bait for a youngster catching his first fish! See ya on the water!