Ever use bullfrog tadpoles for channel bait ?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by SangamonCatKiller, Mar 3, 2006.

1. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    I was getting some water for some bluegill I had caught and about 20 huge tadpoles ended up in my bucket. They are alive and well at home in my tank, just wondering if anyone has used them? I have used small frogs and has some success with channels, I figure its one of the first creatures to emerge this spring so why not use them for early fishing> I can most likely post some pics of these guys, they are huge! There heads are about the size of a quarter to half dollar.

2. rasimmons

rasimmons Guest

i tried tadpoles once about two years ago on a small little farm pond did alright with them, but if memory serves me right my buddy out fished me with nightcrawlers. like i said this was a half acre pond so results may be different some place else

3. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    I tried driftfishing on a small river with them live, and caught 2 smallmouth bass. Probaly not as good as alot of other baits for cats.

4. Chuckb

Chuckb New Member

State:
    Pana Illinois
    I say raise em up and envite me over for frog legs!! ;) By the way Nick did you get your present in the mail yet?

5. scum_bucket

scum_bucket New Member

State:
    Texas
    I tried it once, didnt catch a thing on it.

6. SangamonCatKiller

State:
    central illinois
    Chuck, omg I forgot to thank you for that buddy!! Thanks alot! I have been puttin' her to use already.

7. SangamonCatKiller

State:
    central illinois
    Yeah, it probably wouldn't be the best of baits. I just want a variety. I have some shad, some gills in my tank along with the tad poles. Hopein' to hook into something this weekend.

8. torment_hack

torment_hack New Member

State:
    california
    i put huge one on...almost the size of a golfball and got a 17lb bass....never any catfish though

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I have heard that cats will go for frogs, but I dont know about tadpoles.

10. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    yes they work. have caught some big blues on them. we buy them from a fish hatchery for a quarter a piece. maybe not the best bait, but a good change up.

11. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ive never had any luck with tadpoles but when they are frogs you can tear em up sometimes. I love seeing them frogs kicking around while I cast em out there. May have to raise a few tadpoles for bait myself.

12. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    I was reading a book from the North American Fishing Club a few years ago and in this one article they talked that in the Missouri and Mississippi they use huge bullfrogs as bait.It said to cut the legs so they couldn't swimm away and would panic and attract monster cats.I know its not a tadpole but i hope that helps

13. wendell

wendell New Member

State:
    illinois
    Bullheads bite like crazy on them. So actually you are trading one bait for another.

14. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Nick, I would be careful when I used them. In season you could have 16 in your bait bucket I guess, Illinois regulations don't specify frogs as as bait though. But out of season you might get fined, as there is no size limit on bull frogs. Just something to think about.

15. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    A friend and I where getting bait for a night of flathead fishing we pulled up our seine and there was a tadpole that had legs, we called it a frogpole. That night my friend used it for bait and hooked into a huge flathead. It broke his line right next to the shore, but from the looks it was 50 plus pounds.