Ever use a stinger hook?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by justwannano, Feb 4, 2007.

1. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    After missing a couple of fish last year I got to thinking about trying a stinger hook. I've never tried them before but the principal is simple. Anyone got any tips on using them?

2. bowfin

bowfin New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I think I might give it a try what can it hurt

3. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    never heard of em, details? :roll_eyes: pics maybe? :lol:

4. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    A Stinger Hook is just a second hook. They are tied to the main hook with a short leader "1-2 inch leaders" or the second hook is just slipped over the main hook as a trailer hook. They do work,but check your state laws before using them.

5. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I use stingers a lot. Should be tied to match the length of the bait. Hooks far enough apart so the trailing hook is located at the tail end of the bait. Hope this makes sense.

6. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    usually every late fall or early winter I used to have a lot of trouble with people not being able to hook the fish as they either wouldn't be aggressive enough when using kahles or J hooks and I'd switch to circle hooks and for some reason those didn't work either. it happens every year about the same time when the water starts getting colder the fish start biting somehow different and the fish are really hard to hook .. I started to brainstorm trying to figure out how to fix this. I use cut shad just about 100% of the time and so I decided to try treble hooks this last year. I went and got some embroidery needles at walmart and tied about a 1 ft leader on the treble hooks. the previous 3 or 4 days we went out this last fall the hookup rate was about 30 to 40% successful so I had to figure out something. with the 1 ft leaders tied onto the treble hooks I'd thread the loop through the embroidery needle eye and then put the needle up through the shad heads from the cut to the mouth and then slide the bait down to the hook and stick one of the points in the bottom so that the other two points of the treble was sticking out on both sides ... when I started using these the hookup rate went from the 30% to 40% to probably 95% ... the first time we used these treble hooks we caught 35 fish with only two misses. when I'd get the bait on the hook I had a snap swivel tied onto the mainline leader so that I could just clip the baited leader and hook back onto the mainline. it's harder to bait up that way but the results payed off bigtime. I'm going to alter this rig just a little and instead of using the snap swivel I'm going to use the breakaway quik connects so that it'll be easier to put the baited hook leader back on the line ... my fingers got really sore using the snap swivels.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Sounds very similar to a method of rigging ballyhoo in salt water. If you look at catalogs of salt water fishing equipment, you can find a bait rigging needle made for this purpose.

8. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I didn't know about that ... I was thinking about altering the needle eye too but I'm not sure if it'll weaken it too much or not ... I thought I'd cut a slot in one side of the needle's eye so that I could just slip the loop in there and then that way I wouldn't have to fold the loop over and then run the loop through the bait like that because it tears it some .. if the needle would hold up with the slot cut in it then that'll work a lot better for me ... I may search the web and see what those ones you're talking about look like. there may already be some that'll work like I'm talking about. I'm kind of thinking that I may end up using trebles all the time but they're a pain to bait up when you can just use a regular hook and bait it and throw it out ... it's a lot more involved doing it like I'm doin it now and when ya bait up about 150 times or more then you've put in a full day.

9. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    oh and I'm also going to switch to using trebles when I use large bluegill heads for bait this year. the last few years we've gotten really good fish on bluegill heads but then they come unbuttoned ... I"m sure the use of a large treble would cure that problem as well but it'll probably have to be a 6/0 or 8/0 treble ... I've got some 12/0 but those would be too big I think ... might not though.

10. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Tiny, cutting through the eye with a 3 cornered file works fine. That is the way I have mine rigged. That way you can have several or even a days supply rigged the night before.

11. akwolf41

akwolf41 Master Instigator of the BOC!

State:
    Kenai, Ala
    Guys here is a Pic showing how to tie a two Hook rig

Gene

Attached Files:

12. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I wouldn't want to prebait rigs the day before as I don't use anything that's been dead more than 30 minutes or so. The photo below is how I have the rig set up. it's very deadly and you hardly ever miss a fish when you have the treble on bottom of the cut bait with he leader through the bottom and out the mouth or nose of the shad head or bluegill head. two of the points are sticking out on the sides of the bait on bottom ... they can't touch this rig without getting hooked.

Attached Files:

13. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey Tiny;

I've used that same type of system before, only I used 2 J hooks. I was originally taught to use a hook made of bailing wire, but I got to looking around the house and they make a crochet hook that works perfectly for this.

Super thin and long with a small hook at the end that most leaders fit perfectly in. Stick it in the mouth of the shad, thread it through the shad. It's stong enough to poke through the skin near the tail of the bait, loop the leader on, pull it back through.

A lot of guys still look at me funny when they see a crochet hook in my tackle box.

14. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Caught my PB last july on a stinger rig, so I can say that the work for me

Aaron

TA2D

15. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    After some misses on flatheads one night during cold weather I mde up some rigs with stinger hooks. Next time out I used them. I caught a cuple of flatheads that trip and none of them were on the stinger. The first hook was in their jaw and the stinger was swinging loose in their mouth. Haven't bothered with them since.

16. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Out here on the west coast a "trap hook" is used by some to attach to live bait for halibut fishing, as they sometimes just are light hitters as well.

When fishing for salmon on the rouge river in Oregon as the water comes into the ocean the common rig is a slip rig called a rouge spinner ....that can be bought from Cabellas.... This rig is trolled in the last 1 1/2 miles of the river as the river necks down into the jetty area and what is called the jaws....
    You can make em real easy as the front hook is tied on basically with a Uni knott, and then there is a loop at the back which is pulled back to the taill of the bait, and then a trebble is then attached. The rig is adjusted by moving the front hook back or forward to attach to the mouth of the "dead bait" and a nose cone or clip is used to keep the baits mouth shut when trolling....
    The bait is set into a slight arc so that the bait will have a rotation movement as it is being trolled..... They have a colorado spinner at the front of this rig, and interchangable colors as certain ones are the hot ones.....This set up is slow trolled and is basically on a three way slider system so that the weight does not interfer witht the neting of the fish....

bayrunner ray