Ever tried blackend catfish?

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by TennesseeJugger, Nov 13, 2009.

1. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    I cooked some of that a week ago and DAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYUUUUMM that was good stuff. Cooked in a cast iron skillet.

2. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS

3. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That recipe was created by Paul Prudehomme from Louisiana..This was originally a recipe for the red drum or redfish as we like to them..At the time he came up with this recipe redfish were considered a trash fish..People rarely ate them..When people finally started cooking redfish this way it wasn't long before redfish were fished to near extinction..I wouldn't be a true Louisianian if I had never tried this recipe and it also works good for chicken..Prudehomme also has a famous resturant in New Orleans call K-pauls..The place is famous for there blackened dishes..

4. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I tried that about 24 yrs ago and have been eating it since.There are many variations on the recipe with Prudhommes being the best out there.

Its also great on steaks,chicken and alligator.Havent tried it on my pork chops cause pork is so good it requires no seasoning lol.

5. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn

Ever heard of a resturant called botin's? I think that is how it is spelled. My daughter lives in Baton Rouge and they took me there.

6. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i burnt some one time it tasted like crap,does that count.seriously,how does it compare to fried,never tried it thinkin' bout it though.

7. puppypal

puppypal New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Ar
    There was a resturant right on riverfront drive in Memphis that served the very best ever blackened catfish. Cajun's worf or something like that. They would serve it in an iron skillet still bubbling! MAN! that was some good eating. Been forevr ago but still remember it

8. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    Paul Prudehommes blackened redfish majic is a great seasoning for blackening almost any fish. I love the blackened fish due to the intense flavor, but have not had it in a while. I guess it is time for a trip to a local place that has a great blackened fish plate.

9. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    i have not tried it, i like food with alot of flavor i'll have to try it.Thanks jugger for all of the creative post.:big_smile:

10. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    Never heard of botin's but I know of a famous seafood restaurant in Lafitte Louisiana called Boutte's..Best seafood I've ever had..The seafood platter there is robust and comes with a lot for about 17 bucks..Came with fried softshell crab,fried frog legs,fried catfish,fried shrimp,stuffed crab,french fries,cole slaw and hush puppies..Now that I got everyones mouth watering,including myself...:smile2:One of my favorite places to get blackend dishes was Al Copelands..There are several Copelands resturants across New Orleans..Blackened dishes do have a very strong flavor that will definitely tickle your tastebuds..

11. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    my that sounds goooodddddddddddd,I've got to wipe the desk off from my mouth watering so much!!!!!!!1:big_smile:

12. dthrasher

dthrasher New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thats some gooooood stuff. I use a cast iron skillet and soul seasoning with limon juice. MM good.

13. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    good stuffff arggghuuuummuuu:dribble:

14. lforet2002

State:
    Tennessee
    2 medium yellow onions, chopped
    1 green bell pepper, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, chopped
    1 bunch parsley, chopped
    1 bunch green onion tops, chopped
    1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
    1 cup (8 ounces) water
    2 tablespoons flour
    1 tablespoon salt
    1 tablespoon black pepper
    1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
    about a 10lb freshly caught flathead catfish (skin,gut and steak it)

The best way to cook this is out on a campfire..The best catfish to use is a flathead catfish because it eats mostly live bait, resulting in a sweeter, less oily-tasting meat.Steaking it will help to keep the meat together..Put 1 tablespoon of cooking oil in a large cast iron pot. Put a thin layer of a mixture of all the vegetables..(save the green onions and parsley for later) Follow with a single, loose layer of fish steaks. Sprinkle some of a mixture of the seasonings and some of the flour on top of the fish. Drizzle some of the tomato sauce and water over the seasonings. Repeat the layering process, adding more flour, seasonings, vegetables, and tomato sauce as needed until there is no more fish left. Boil, covered, over a very low heat for thirty to forty-five minutes. Add the green onions and parsley and cook for another five minutes.DO NOT STIR!!Just pick up the pot and swirl it in a circular motion..If you try to stir you'll have a pot full of bones..Serve over rice..

15. festus

festus New Member

Wow that sounds great, Les. Gonna have to catch me a 10 pound flattie. Have caught some channels that size this year, but no flatties.